System freezes randomly.

lexrg

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Hi guys, i really need some help my system is hanging randomly i dont know why, im checking Voltages Tems and currents with everest ultimate, everything seems to be normal, i have done some prime 95 tests no hangs in 4 hours.

this is my set up:

EVEREST Ultimate Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7600 (Win7 RTM)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACPI x64-based PC
Microsoft Windows 7 Ult
DirectX 11.0

QuadCore Intel Core i7 920, 3200 MHz (20 x 160) 1.25V
Intel Smackover DX58SO (1 PCI, 1 PCI-E x4, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
Intel Tylersburg X58, Intel Nehalem
4086 MB (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM)
DIMM3: A-Data 2 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM (8-8-8-22 @ 609 MHz) (7-7-7-20 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-17 @ 457 MHz)
DIMM5: A-Data 2 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM (8-8-8-22 @ 609 MHz) (7-7-7-20 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-17 @ 457 MHz)
BIOS Intel (04/14/10)
ATI Radeon HD 5850 Series (1024 MB)
ST3500418AS ATA Device (500 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
Disco óptico JSLOB 5ERG16F01 SCSI CdRom Device
Coolermaster Cosmos S
Coolermaster Real Power Pro 850W
Coolermaster V8

it is happenning mostly when im playing Wow sound stops, screen freezes and if i leave it on after some time it restats by it self

perhaps de HDD ?

any help i will apreciate it.

sorry for my poor english

Ty.

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
^ Yea you need a 3x2GB kit of DDR3 RAM, when using the socket 1366.

Furthermore, I am not too confident in that PSU. It could be providing inconsistent power and under gaming loads is failing to supply enough.

Try the RAM first, thats something you need to fix regardless. If you still see a problem, after changing the RAM and following zip's advice, then I would get a better PSU. The Corsair 750TX would be my suggestion.

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Hmm, I'm not even sure you're even running in dual-channel mode. I have the X58SO motherboard and there are 3 blue slots for memory and 1 black slot. DIMM 3 and DIMM 5 is a mix of one of the blue and one of the black slots. Ideally, you'd have 3 sticks in the 3 blue spots. I don't know if having one in a black slot and one in a blue gives you dual or single channel???

Since you only have 2 sticks; for now, just remove the stick that's in the black slot and put it in the first slot.

Return everything to stock voltage and settings. Then see if your problem persists.

Look into buying a matching stick of RAM to go with your current two.

lexrg

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
So to be working on tripple channel i need 3 sticks of ram

im gonna get an other stick and see how it goes.

im checking the link u posted im gonna disable aero too Ty bro.

i hope this ends up with my freezings, i just noticed some one else posted an other topic with freezing too and both of us have the same mobo also in home built systems

jesus..... im kind of tired of this.... =(

lexrg

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Disabled Aereo, still had a freeze today just five minutes ago, but this time the system recovered by it self after 3 minutes or something i had everest open so i checked it

all the voltages, all the temps all the currents were ok.

nothing on the event log.

could it be the HDD ? or perhaps a sound driver issue

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Hey, I'm just going to throw my voice in this thread...

1) Some motherboards support dual channel with i7-920. For example I have an ASRock X58 Extreme and I had 4GB ram 2x2gb for a long time and it was fine...I don't know why everyone insists that you MUST have 3 channel memory..Some motherboard support dual channel with the i7 from what I understand.. Like I said, mine was perfectly fine with dual channel..I would check the motherboard manual to see what it supports. It will say if it does :)

2) Try 8-8-8-24 with Command Rate 2..That might help..it seems like a lot of people fall back on those timings and command rate 2 if theres stability problems. I had some stability problems and they were solved when I used those timings. Although you are saying you passed prime95 for 4 hours, so that might not be the issue at all..

3) ATI DRIVERS ARE A NIGHTMARE for many users. I hope you didn't install them from the CD. If you did, uninstall everything ATI related and get the latest drivers for anything ATI related on their website. Seriously--many users complained about the drivers and all they had to do was use the latest ones. Just make sure you uninstall everything before you get the new ones.

If I think of anything else I'll come back!

lexrg

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Ty Trancetunes, well Dx58s9 supports Dual channel memory,
im gonna check it out with 8 8 8 24 and comand rate 2
i uninstalled Hd audio drivers from ati, i have the last CCC and the lastest drivers on my machine.

Ty for ur help im gonna keep trying. =(

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
What do you mean some X58 support dual channel? They all "support" dual channel..........but for optimal performance you use triple channel, that's the whole point of buying a X58 right, or you could have just bought a P55 and a s1156 i7 and saved some money.

Nobody is saying you MUST use triple channel.

I am trying to say that some motherboards not only support/allow dual channel, but they run those sticks just as well as if you had three...so not only can it be dual channel sometimes if you want, but it will actually run perfectly fine and as it should. Get what I mean? You won't have the RAM not running as fast or problems with any other parts with dual channel memory if the mobo fully supports dual channels..

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Yes I get what you are saying, and I don't know why you are starting to sound upset.. =/

Anyway, I am trying to say that some mobo's are designed to allow dual channel/single channel for the i7, and it will not take away any performance.

You are implying that it'll just "work," but some will allow it to work, and work well/the way it should with the i7. For example, the ASRock X58 Extreme is the one I have, and if you use dual channel RAM it won't take away any performance. On the other hand, some motherboards do not fully support it, so there might be issues or different performance.

I just didn't want him to think he HAS to buy three channels or else he is sacrificing performance. If his motherboard states that it can be dual channel, it means they support it to the point where there wont be performance and/or stability issues.

If the motherboard doesn't state it, then I would probably also recommend getting a third one!

lexrg

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
any ideas?

i uninstalled ati sound drivers,
i installed CCC 10.5 the new ones

i did that on monday but today i had a freeze wile playing the keyboard didnt espond,
sound stopped a
nd screen image was frozen
. all fans ok, the fan of the gpu was spinning

had to manual restart the pc.

no more freezes after this but, i can say the problem is still here :S

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
did you uninstall the drivers and video card COMPLETELY? you have to uninstall EVERYTHING, not just the sound drivers. the sound drivers arent going to be the issue if it is the video card most likely..you want to uninstall the video card COMPLETELY and then get the video and sound drivers from the website.. since you passed prime95 for 4 hours i really believe it is the video drivers..but let's see after you do that stuff if you haven't already..

also, a couple more things to try if you already did that (if not i recommend doing that stuff first!!):

1) put your cpu back on stock settings!! see if you get any errors without overclocking first... you can keep your ram at the normal rated speed, but try to use 8-8-8-24-88 with command rate 2 perhaps..

2) if you are stable without overclocking, then you can try to overclock back to 3200..BUT sometimes using a 20x cpu ratio is unstable...try 19 or 21.. increase bclk if you use 19, and decrease it if you use 21x...basically you want 3200/19=new BCLK if 19x, or 3200/21= new BCLK if 21x...

lexrg

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
hi trance, first of all i uninstalled ati sound drivers, then i uninstalled the ati drivers but using the ati installler utility i didnt use driver sweeper, im gonna run on stock and see how it goes ty bro.

karma831

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
Its probably not the RAM...

I actually had the same issue as the OP. I was running everything at stock while having some pretty good cooling so my temps were really really low. However, my pc would randomly crash when watching HD videos, playing games, and even randomly while doing barely anything at times. First I did the same as you and cleaned/updated my video and audio drivers because my friend also had a similar issue where he had 2 different ones that would cause him to get hangs. Even after doing that I still got some hangs/crashes (less frequently though). I did a clean OS wipe/install and everything once just to make sure I didn't miss anything but that didn't solve anything at all. After reading around everywhere and asking a lot of people I managed to figure out on my own what the problem was.

ATI has this function on their graphics card called powerplay where it'll power down your graphics card in order to save energy/be more efficient (greenmode). That is usually not a bad thing but in this case my gpu was having issues deciding what mode it should be in, so it was bouncing up and down from powerplay mode to 2d to 3d mode which makes it very unstable. Basically when it crashed it was because it would stay at 157/300 on my core/memory even though I had an HD video opened or a game running full screen because I alt tabbed/minimized during this secession. I fixed this by creating a "No powerplay" profile in catalyst where I manually edited the profile's 2d setting so that the lowest possible clock speeds my gpu could go down to were 400/600.

You can rivatuner to do this...
http://www.guru3d.com/article/rivatuner-20-fan-speed--overclock-guide/4

or

manually edit a catalyst profile like myself. (I can't seem to find the guide that I followed so I made my own)

Open Catalyst control center -> click on ATI Overdrive -> Profiles -> Profile manager ->Make a new profile BUT DO NOT ACTIVATE IT YET
1zdoehy.jpg

Only the ATI Overdrive box (you can select all though) must be checked then Click save -> Close -> then click on start -> windows explorer/explorer -> user -> (your login user name) -> AppData -> Local -> ATI -> Ace -> Profiles -> right click open with word (notepad2 or any Coding Utility will work. Not sure about regular notepad though) you will now see a screen like this (You might need to make your system files visible to see this or just search for "ACE")
r88cxd.jpg

The you must edit both of the (value="300" />) to (Property name="Want_2" value="?" /) so all three value names must be the same as ( Property name="Want_2" value (E.G. 667)

Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0"

Property name="Want_0" value="300" />
Property name="Want_1" value="300" />
to the same as
Property name="Want_2" value="?" />

And adjust your voltages if possible too but it probably isn't a good idea to mess with the other things if you're not too comfortable playing around too much like myself.

Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0"

Property name="Want_0" value
Property name="Want_1" value
same as
Property name="Want_2" value="?
E.G.
30b1d0j.jpg

Once you have edited
Property name="Want_0
Property name="Want_1
to the same as value as
Property name="Want_2 (value)
click save -> open up catalyst control center profile -> activate profile -> No Powerplay (or whatever you named it) then look in ATI overdrive to see what your gpu is now running at. If it is running at what you set it then you are successful.

If this doesn't solve your issue you might have to flash your bios or wait for ATI to fix this issue with new drivers but I think that will take a very long time as this has been around FOREVER (apparently) and still not fixed.

Good luck and I hope this solves your issue.

lexrg

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Ty for the images, ty for the description.

Karma831 tvm for ur help i really apreciate it, im gonna do that right now, and i will post the results inmediatly.

Again Ty bro.