Sign in with
Your question

PC freezing during gaming: please help me troubleshoot!

Last response: in Systems
May 28, 2010 10:45:24 AM

Hello, I am having issues with my computer freezing during some games (e.g. Sims 3, psychonauts, oblivion). When it freezes, there is no artifacting. The picture just freezes as is and it is accompanied by a loud buzzing noise through the speakers. I also experience bad frame-rate in Psychonauts sometimes. On other games, though (Left for dead 1 and 2) I can play on high settings for as long as I want and it plays beautifully. My drivers are all up to date, the temperatures are low, and I have not overclocked anything.

Here's what I've got:
MSI P55-GD55
Intel i5 750 (2.67 GHz)
4 GB DDR3-1333 RAM
700W Power Supply
Powercolor Radeon 5770
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

This is the first desktop I've owned so I'm not very experienced with troubleshooting this sort of thing :S
May 28, 2010 11:02:20 AM

What is the exact model of your RAM? What is the voltage and timing on your RAM? I am almost certain it has to do with that (unless you are overclocking, then it may be the CPU as well).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 28, 2010 11:07:32 AM

Dump all the ati stuff through your add remove. Re-install.
Honestly, you might have left overs from previous versions if you don't purge it every CCC update.
Might take you half an hour even if you have to do it twice.
I've had issues updating my 5850 for some reason it doesn't like overwriting previous CCC versions.
Works fine if i go to install manager and remove all ati files first then proceed with new update.

btw my 5850 hates 10.5 have reverted back to 10.4
m
l
May 28, 2010 11:09:41 AM

That's a good point Davcon..I forgot about that.. ATI Drivers from CD are horrible with Windows 7 x64!

Alicek8, if you installed your drivers for ATI graphics card from the CD you should definitely uninstall everything related to it and get all the latest drivers from the website!

There is still more chance it is your RAM that is causing the freezing/loud noise. I had the same problem (and I also have ATI card but I installed from website). It turned out my RAM needed to be replaced! However, what you are describing happens if the timing and/or voltage is wrong for the RAM. I would really recommend telling us what exact model it is, and what voltage AND timings you are using. :) 
m
l
!