ISRT SDD + HDD Defragging

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
When one uses the ISRT caching setup for a small SSD and a mechanical HDD, will it be safe to do a normal defrag? Since defragging a SSD is usually not recommended or even necessary, I wonder if a defrag program will attempt to defrag the SSD as well as the HDD when instructed to defrag C: drive.

Solution
The SATA ports your drives are connected to have to be in RAID mode but you don't have an actual RAID array.
Your HDD is using your SSD similar to the way it uses RAM, except when you turn off your pc whatever data is on your SSD is not deleted like it is in RAM.

Traum

Honorable
May 8, 2012

I hope this won't come across as being rude, but would you please tell me where you got this information from?

My PC uses an Intel SRT setup as well. Because I am not sure whether SRT is smart enough to tell the difference between regular read/writes from those that are done during defragging, I simply go to the SRT console and turn SSD caching off. It literally is a 1 button deal from the Intel console.

And then when the defragging is done, I'll just click the same button and turn it on again.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Dang! I never thought of doing that...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Wouldn't the RAID array that the SSD is part of present itself as a logical disk too? Or is it not considered part of C:?

The SATA ports your drives are connected to have to be in RAID mode but you don't have an actual RAID array.
Your HDD is using your SSD similar to the way it uses RAM, except when you turn off your pc whatever data is on your SSD is not deleted like it is in RAM.

Solution