USB hub problem

nandita

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Hello,
I have an asus p6t se.
i have installed a 4 port hub in one of the drive bays that connects to a usb port at the rear.When it is connected the hard drive light comes on when the pc is turned off and occasionally the pc wont power on until I turn it off from the wall for a minute.
Anybody help? Thanks

nandita

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Hi Jaquith,
Unlike other hubs (where you have a cable to the internal usb connectors) this literally just plugs into a (black) usb socket at the back.
Thanks
Mike

I 'get' what you're doing, I'd like to know the exact HUB so I can review it and see what might be the issue; as I said "USB pass throughs" vs USB Headers. My concern is 'how' it's powered.

If it requires an A/C then this must be also connected.

nandita

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011

There is no external power
This is the hub:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132425

Yes and No, you MUST use the 4-pin Molex that's part of the kit and connect it to your PSU. If the problem continues then open the Device Manager, open the [+] Universal Serial Bus... then right-click Update Driver for ALL items listed. Better use a PS/2 Keyboard, requires restart, and Delete ALL items listed. In either case followed by a restart.

USB & Molex:
P200-0132425-02.jpg

nandita

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
The hub didnt come with a power cable.
Looking at the ebuyer customer reviews they DID come with them originally but it blew the odd
psu/motherboard...

Connecting an underpowered 4-port HUB + Device(s) can equally damage your MOBO's USB and overload it.

Question, if you disconnect the HUB and connect to 'another' device to the SAME USB port does the problem "when the pc is turned off and occasionally the pc wont power on until I turn it off from the wall for a minute" persist or does it go away? If this corrects the problem then it's clear the HUB is the problem.

If it were me, I would get something else. Your best bet is to use the internal USB header(s), PCI USB, or external powered USB HUB.