2.5" SATA Hard Drive Enclosure not recognized

Antw0n

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
I accidentally fried my laptop the other day and I'm trying to retrieve the info from my hard drive. I put my HD into the 2.5" SATA enclosure, and then connected it to my desktop via USB A to USB A. However, my computer does not recognize the hard drive at all. I've tried going into "Disk Management", but I either 1) don't know how to do it right or 2) that's not the solution.

I can connect my external HD and my desktop will recognize that, but not the laptop HD.

Some info that may be helpful in the diagnostics:

I have Windows 7 on my desktop. My laptop HD is a is a WD Scorpio Blue.

Please keep in mind that I'm not super tech savvy. I've learned stuff along the way, but I still need to hear an explanation in layman's terms.

Thank you!

Also, I looked through this guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265764-32-guide-installed-disk-system
and found that they suggested I ask about my problem if I can't find my HD in the BIOS.

You did remember to connect the power supply to the SATA hard disk? If the connections are OK then look in device manager for any USB device with yellow plings against them with the hard drive connected, and delete them. Then disconnect end reconnect the USB lead.