zeruin

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I think I'm pushing the limit with my current PSU, it's a 450w Corsair, about 2 years old. My current system is as follows..

e2160 1.8ghz (OC to 2.4)
gigabyte p35 mobo
9800gtx+
450w corsair
2gb ocz

My problem is I think my GPU can perform much better than what it's currently running at.. I like playing games like CoD4, L4D2, and even DDO, but I have to keep the settings at low with a resolution near 1024x768 most of the time or I my games will artifact and eventually freeze the computer. All of my drivers are up to date, I've tried dropping/raising to OC on my CPU, but I typically get the same results..

My assumption is that considering this only happens under higher loads, I'm pulling too much power from my little 450w PSU. At such a low resolution, I would assume the 9800gtx+ would be able to nearly max out most of the games I play without too much of a hiccup.. so I really am inclined to think this is a PSU issue..

I've updated drivers and checked just about everything else.. What do you guys think.. PSU or no?

I recently purchased a Corsair 750w for my new system build, I suppose one way of testing this theory would be to plug it in here temporarily and test it again..

What PSU would you guys recommend.. possibly a decent 600w?

As per me, the problem lies with your CPU which is pretty weak for gaming.. I assume you are using the corsair VX450W PSU which is pretty much apt to run a 9800GTX+.. My suggestion would be to upgrade to at least an intel C2D E7500.. If possible, get another 2GB of RAM also..

Your CPU is indeed holding you back. My E1400 bottlenecked an HD4650, which is significantly weaker than a 9800GTX+. A Crosair 450Watt is very nice, and it would handle an HD5850, to be honest.

If you can afford an E5300, an E7200, or an E8400, get one of those.