Asus P7P55D-E Pro Troubleshooting

thecopycat

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Hi,
I'm currently helping a friend build a core i5 750 system with an asus p7p55d-3 pro motherboard.

Last night, when attempting to boot for the first time, there was nothing. The MOBO power LED came on but there was no apparent attempt to turn on. I screwed around a while, and figured out that I forgot the CPU power, plugged in, still nothing. I tried adding second 2x2 cpu power, and nothing.

The only way that I've been able to get the board to attempt to boot is when I removed the 2x2 connector adjacent to the 10x2(?not sure on exact size) motherboard connector.

When I did this without the cpu power connected, the cpu light came on, no vga but it does at least power up. When the cpu power is connected it boots for 1 second, shuts off, repeats, over and over until I shut off power supply. Plugging back in the 2x2 cable = no more booting.

I'm really not sure what this all means, but my best guesses are that the motherboard is grounded somewhere and shorting out, or that the power supply is bad. I am taking my rig over tonight to test some of the components and I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas on what the problem could be here.

thecopycat

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341019&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

yinRXc8

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
So we figured out the problem was the PSU (copycat decided to overlook the bad reviews), and got one that worked. But then we realized that the memory copycat had recommended was failboat with the motherboard:

Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro
4GB RAM DDR-3 1600 PC3-12800 (2x2GB): G.Skill RipJaws F3-12800CL7D

It'll run, but only at a very underclocked speed (CPU-Z showed it running at 667MHz). Is overclocking the RAM the recommended way to get it to run to its full potential? Or should I just return it to newegg for something listed on the mobo compatible table of RAM?

If overclocking is recommended, any suggestions on where i can find a DIY?

brennon7

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
CPU-Z says 667 mhz but that number needs to be doubled to get the actual ram frequency so 800mhz would be 1600 ram. Therefore your ram is currently running at 1333mhz.

Overclocking is the only way to get to 1600. I just use the auto tuning feature in the bios and it does everything 4 me. When I used the auto tuning it took my CPU to 3.7 ghz and ram to 1560mhz. So pretty close to 1600. I have to manually overclock to get 1600mhz.