Is it possible to use 3.0 TB HDD in Windows - 7 ?

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hi,

Is it possible to use 3.0 TB HDD in Windows -7 ?

I have been using 2.0 TB HDD to store my big files. It has Crashed so I want to replace it with a 3.0 TB Western Digital internal HDD.

I do have a 2.0 TB external USB back up HDD ( Seagate GoFlex ) & want to clone it to 3.0 TB HDD to transfer all the files.

I have Acronis True Image Home to clone the backed Up Seagate 2.0 TB GoFlex HDD to new 3.0 TB WD HDD.

Is this possible & how do I go about it before I purchase a new 3.0 TB WD internal HDD ?

3TB hard drives are a bit problematic but they do work. You will need to observe the following:

1. The drive must be formatted with a GPT partition scheme rather than an MBR partition scheme

2. The OS must be a 64 bit version

3. If you want to boot from the 3TB drive you must also use a motherboard with an EFI firmware

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
How do I partition it with a GPT Partition scheme ?

Do I need any special software to do it or I can just go to disk managment & do it ?

I am using Win - 7 ( 64 bit ) and I am not going to use this 3 TB to boot from it. Just a single partition to store large video files.

Adding to point 3 above, the install disk must be booted in UEFI mode for the GPT install to work. The installer can't use GPT when it isn't running in EFI mode itself, and you'll end up with only 2 TB usable as an MBR disk. In the boot menu you should see two entries for the DVD-ROM drive, one of which is preceded by "UEFI."

All of it is done through disk management

If you meet the requirements to use a GPT partitioning scheme (64 bit Vista SP1 or later) you'll be asked on startup or when you enter Disk Management. If you accidentally configure it as a MBR disk it is possible to convert it to a GPT disk as long as there are no partitions on the drive (existing ones can be deleted)

You can easily transfer all the data by copy and paste, nothing special needs to be done

That article is very good and basically expands on what I had in my original post

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

So I can't clone 2 TB to 3 TB ?

Also in future, I am planning on buying another 3 TB drive as a back up of this new 3 TB drive in which case I won't be able to clone them too ?

I tried copy paste about 500 GB data this weekend to back up important files from 2 TB & it is painfully slow.

I never recommend cloning to different sized drives, it will take about as long as copying the files properly.

I think that depends on the motherboard.
My MSI 890FXA-GD70 does not have EFI but I am able to boot from my WD 3TB HDD drive with no problems at all.
Windows sees the full size of the drive's and all 5 of them are partitioned as MBR.

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Well, I had given up totally on 3 TB drive but you are raising some hopes.

Let me see if I understand correctly what you are saying.

1. I can partition it as an MBR. I need only only one partition & I am going to use this 3 TB drive as a slave to store large video files.

2. I can clone my 2 TB drive on to this drive using Acronis software although they are different sizes ? Of course it might take lot longer according to Pinhedd.

3. In future I can clone this 3 B drive to another 3 TB drive ?

4. Most of the problems mentioned seem to be solved in following article ?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/235088/everything_you_need_to_know_about_3tb_hard_drives.html

5. You have five 3 TB drives ?

please comment.

I won't be able to exchange or return this 3 TB drive once I buy it, so is it worthtaking a risk ?

TRENDING THREADS