Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I7 860 vs 15 750 vs 17 930?

Last response: in CPUs
July 31, 2010 6:22:21 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am new into making my own system, but have been reading a lot of threads in this forum. Not all are directly ery applicable to me as there is quite a divide between those heavy gamers and photo rendering intensive users.

What i am using my new system for:
1. Gaming (not hard core, but would want to run games like Starcraft 2, WoW, Sims 3, Far Cry 2, etc)
2. I do a fair bit of programming, so i always run a minimum of about 5 Visual Studio .Net projects which i feel are quite memory intensive.
3. Little or maybe might pick up photo rendering, something i might explore in the future.
4. My budget well if in US dollars maybe about $1200-1500 perhaps? (Below setup seems rather expensive to me i guess, so any way i can optimize for more bang per buck?)

So please feel free to give me your comments on whether i should be getting a i7 860 vs i5 750 vs 17 930 based on what i am using my system for? Have not gotten down to a build for i5 750 yet. Which do you think i should be getting?

Basic Setup in mind:
Processor: i7 930
Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus Cooler Master
PSU: Corsair HX Series 850HX 850w
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M OR NZXT M59
HDD: WD Green 1TB ( i will use another old 500 HDD as my first HDD for applications only) - for storage only
Ram: G Skill PC3 1600 MHZ 6GB (3x2GB)
GPU: HX5870 OR GTX 460
Monitor: Dell U23 Series
Mobo: Asus P6X58D Premium OR Asus P6X58E-E OR Gigabyte UD3R

--------------------

Basic Setup in mind:
Processor: i7 860
PSU: Corsair HX Series 850HX 850w
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M OR NZXT M59
HDD: WD Green 1TB ( i will use another old 500 HDD as my first HDD for applications only) - for storage only
Ram: G Skill PC3 1600 MHZ 8GB (2x4GB)
GPU: HX5870 OR GTX 460
Monitor: Dell U23 Series
Mobo: Asus P6X58D Premium OR Asus P6X58E-E OR Gigabyte UD3R

P.S. I am not located in the US or Canada, so probably the price of newegg or microcentre wont be applicable to me.

More about : 860 750 930

a c 81 à CPUs
July 31, 2010 7:27:00 AM

The i7 930 CPU is the odd one out of the group as it runs on a different platform.. However, it is the best for a workstation setup also.. Pair it up with a Nvidia GTX 460 1GB which is quite a powerful video card for gaming also.. Your RAM choice is good.. You can get better drives compared to the WD Green for any of your intended purposes.. Go for a 24 inch monitor directly.. The HX 850 W is more than you'd ever want if you do not intend on going SLI or crossfire ever..
m
l
July 31, 2010 9:29:57 AM

Emperus:
Thank you for the response. So you think i should go for the i7 930 based on my needs above? Well, i think i currently have a rather old Maxtor HDD. Do you think i should invest in getting another one for applications only? Many are saying 1TB would take a long time to fetch data, so i am using the 1TB more for storage and i have a lot of movies.

The 24 inch for the Dell U3 series is way out of my budget, it is another US$200 more than the 23 inches which is on offer now. I do have plans to do SLI perhaps later on, so i think more power is better investment now.

What do you think of GTX 330 2GB dedicated RAM? I saw an Acer offer at one of the electronics near my area and here are the specs, what do you think?

Aspire M7721 - They are having about $200 off the original pricing using i7 930.
http://www.acer.com.sg/acer/product.do?link=oln85e.redi...

It seems the Acer config above: System Memory

* Supports DDRIII up to a maximum of 12GB (three-channel support on six DIMMs)

---> Shouldn't it support 16GB for i7 930 or is it dependent on the mobo?

What do you think of the other specs?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 31, 2010 11:42:31 AM

The new Intel Sandy Bridge is not far away now, so if you don't need it right now, you might want to hold out and see what becomes of that.

For the i5 750 and i7 860 you need a P55 motherboard, they will not work in the X58 boards you have listed. Look for something like the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro.

If you are not looking to overclock, there is no need for an aftermarket cooler.

I don't fully agree with Emperus, I find that the WD Caviar Green would be a perfect match for a movie/music collection, however you might want to get a new drive for you OS and applications as well. Also, a 1T HD (or more) is not slow, so don't let that keep you from getting one, look into getting either a Samsung Spinpoint F3 or, and here I'm going against the grain of these boards, a WD Caviar Black (where most others would say Seagate 7200.12, but I have had too many problems with Seagate personally).

The Corsair HX 850 is a great PSU, and as you state you're looking to do SLI down the line, is a good choice, though a 750W might surfice, but if the price difference is low, go with the 850.

For a video card, if I were to buy right now with your usage, I would get a GTX 460 1GB.

Some decent cases you have selected, but another you should consider is the Lancool K58 (K60, K62), I am not fond of cases without dust covers.
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2010 11:47:50 AM

shaoen01 said:

Aspire M7721 - They are having about $200 off the original pricing using i7 930.
http://www.acer.com.sg/acer/product.do?link=oln85e.redi...

It seems the Acer config above: System Memory

* Supports DDRIII up to a maximum of 12GB (three-channel support on six DIMMs)

---> Shouldn't it support 16GB for i7 930 or is it dependent on the mobo?

What do you think of the other specs?

An i7 900 series have an integrated memory controller that supports single, dual and tripple channel memory, whereas the i5 and i7 800 series integrated memory controller supports single and dual only.
An X58 board have 3 or 6 DIMM slots, so you would run with 3 or 6 DIMMs for optimal performance, running them in tripple channel mode.
On a P55 board you have 4 DIMM slots, and so run with 2 or 4 DIMMs for optimal performance, running them in dual channel.
m
l
July 31, 2010 12:55:36 PM

lothdk said:
The new Intel Sandy Bridge is not far away now, so if you don't need it right now, you might want to hold out and see what becomes of that.

For the i5 750 and i7 860 you need a P55 motherboard, they will not work in the X58 boards you have listed. Look for something like the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro.

If you are not looking to overclock, there is no need for an aftermarket cooler.

I don't fully agree with Emperus, I find that the WD Caviar Green would be a perfect match for a movie/music collection, however you might want to get a new drive for you OS and applications as well. Also, a 1T HD (or more) is not slow, so don't let that keep you from getting one, look into getting either a Samsung Spinpoint F3 or, and here I'm going against the grain of these boards, a WD Caviar Black (where most others would say Seagate 7200.12, but I have had too many problems with Seagate personally).

The Corsair HX 850 is a great PSU, and as you state you're looking to do SLI down the line, is a good choice, though a 750W might surfice, but if the price difference is low, go with the 850.

For a video card, if I were to buy right now with your usage, I would get a GTX 460 1GB.

Some decent cases you have selected, but another you should consider is the Lancool K58 (K60, K62), I am not fond of cases without dust covers.

I keep hearing about Sandy Bridge Processors, is it a whole new range of processors than the i9 range or am i mistaken?

HDD:
As for the cooler, it does not cost me much to get one extra if i decide to overclock. But if i don't, won't it be better to keep my CPU cool? I am looking at either Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB as well. Or Perhaps i should get 2 units of Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB and use Raid?

Do you recommend i do so? Significant performance difference? Samsung F3 is way more cost effective here and costs less than WD Green and Black 1TB. But is WD Black more reliable? Many people are saying it is so as compared to Samsung.

Also, what's the difference between the 32mb Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB vs WD Black 64mb 1TB?

GPU
The GTX 460 1GB --> Is it Nvdia or Gigabyte? Are they the same? I am looking at some pricelists and i am not sure if they are the same. So far, i can only find GTX 465 1GB on the price lists i am looking at, is that ok?

Also, is it true that ATI HD58xx series is better than GTX?

Ram:
As for RAM, besides G Skill any other recommendations? What about Corsair, OCZ or Kingston? Not as good?

Casing:
I do prefer casing with dust covers, because cleaning can be such a pain! I will check out the casing recommended!
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2010 1:53:51 PM

shaoen01 said:
I keep hearing about Sandy Bridge Processors, is it a whole new range of processors than the i9 range or am i mistaken?

It is the new line from Intel, and will replace the current line of i-series CPUs.

shaoen01 said:

HDD:
As for the cooler, it does not cost me much to get one extra if i decide to overclock. But if i don't, won't it be better to keep my CPU cool?

Yes, but if you are not overclocking, the standard cooler is sufficient, however if you already now considering overclocking, then get one now. Another advantage of aftermarket coolers, besides lowering idle and stressed temps, is thet noise generated (if used with a low-noise fan or some kind of fan-speed control).

shaoen01 said:

I am looking at either Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB as well. Or Perhaps i should get 2 units of Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB and use Raid?

Do you recommend i do so? Significant performance difference? Samsung F3 is way more cost effective here and costs less than WD Green and Black 1TB. But is WD Black more reliable? Many people are saying it is so as compared to Samsung.

Also, what's the difference between the 32mb Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB vs WD Black 64mb 1TB?

For normal use I would not advice you to run raid (other than raid 1 or 5), at least not without you also using some kind of backup system should you experience a HDD crash.
I am running a raid 0 on my gaming PC, but only for application drive, and have no worries should it eventually crash/corrupt, as I would not be losing data.
Depending on the raid # and the controller you will experience quite a decrease in load times, if they would be worth the increase in cost and risk of losing data would be up to you.
If the Samsung Spinpoint F3 drives are that much cheaper than WD drives, go with those.
The Samsung Spinpoint F3 and the new Western Digital Black are more or less equal for normal usage.

shaoen01 said:

GPU
The GTX 460 1GB --> Is it Nvdia or Gigabyte? Are they the same? I am looking at some pricelists and i am not sure if they are the same. So far, i can only find GTX 465 1GB on the price lists i am looking at, is that ok?

Also, is it true that ATI HD58xx series is better than GTX?

Nvidia is producing the GPU and basic layout of the PCB, but it is other vendors that sells the finished product, like ASUS, Gigabyte, EVGA etc.
If the video card is build on the reference design, there should be no difference between the different brands, except for warranty and whatever they may bundle with the card.

shaoen01 said:

Ram:
As for RAM, besides G Skill any other recommendations? What about Corsair, OCZ or Kingston? Not as good?

I would have no hesitation using either Corsair of Kingston if those are easier/cheaper for you to get a hold of.

shaoen01 said:

Casing:
I do prefer casing with dust covers, because cleaning can be such a pain! I will check out the casing recommended!

The cases you chose are very nice too, don't let me persuade you otherwise, but do take a look at what the Lancool K58, K60 and K62 offers if they are available to you. In any case, do read several reviews of all the cases you are considering to get a better perspective on what to expect.
m
l
July 31, 2010 2:15:02 PM

lothdk said:

It is the new line from Intel, and will replace the current line of i-series CPUs.

Do you think this would make the i7 9xx series obselete soon? I am actually looking to hold on to this desktop for at least 3-4 years.

lothdk said:

For normal use I would not advice you to run raid (other than raid 1 or 5), at least not without you also using some kind of backup system should you experience a HDD crash.
I am running a raid 0 on my gaming PC, but only for application drive, and have no worries should it eventually crash/corrupt, as I would not be losing data.
Depending on the raid # and the controller you will experience quite a decrease in load times, if they would be worth the increase in cost and risk of losing data would be up to you.
If the Samsung Spinpoint F3 drives are that much cheaper than WD drives, go with those.
The Samsung Spinpoint F3 and the new Western Digital Black are more or less equal for normal usage.

You're right, i think in my case i don't need to run raid. I think i might just go with Samsung Spinpoint F3 then.

lothdk said:

Nvidia is producing the GPU and basic layout of the PCB, but it is other vendors that sells the finished product, like ASUS, Gigabyte, EVGA etc.
If the video card is build on the reference design, there should be no difference between the different brands, except for warranty and whatever they may bundle with the card.

So the GTX460 that you recommended? Which vendor should i choose or which vendor is better? A bit lost on which vendor i should choose or how to ensure the video card by the various vendor is build on the reference design by Nvdia?

lothdk said:

I would have no hesitation using either Corsair of Kingston if those are easier/cheaper for you to get a hold of.

I read that G Skill RAM gives you better performance than the stated speed as compared to other RAMs. Is that true?

lothdk said:

The cases you chose are very nice too, don't let me persuade you otherwise, but do take a look at what the Lancool K58, K60 and K62 offers if they are available to you. In any case, do read several reviews of all the cases you are considering to get a better perspective on what to expect.

[/quotemsg]

I actually think the CM R22 is quite nice, but like you said about the dust cover at the top of the case. Any other recommendations besides Lancool? What about CM Storm Scout? Any good?

Any thoughts on the motherboard i should get? I am torn between Asus P6X58D Premium, Asus P6X58D-E and Gigabyte UD3R apart from the price difference. I do want more bang for each buck i pay and the Premium costs quite a fair bit more. So i just want to make sure it makes a big difference if i choose that? Comments?
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2010 2:45:09 PM

shaoen01 said:

Do you think this would make the i7 9xx series obselete soon? I am actually looking to hold on to this desktop for at least 3-4 years.

No, any of the i7 900 series processors should be more than capable for the next few years.

shaoen01 said:

So the GTX460 that you recommended? Which vendor should i choose or which vendor is better? A bit lost on which vendor i should choose or how to ensure the video card by the various vendor is build on the reference design by Nvdia?

Look at the price and warranty and decide based on that, personal preference would be E-VGA or ASUS.

shaoen01 said:

I read that G Skill RAM gives you better performance than the stated speed as compared to other RAMs. Is that true?

Umm that would depend entirely on the exact model compared to others, also in the overclocking of the ram, it would depend on the motherboard. My advice would be to buy a kit with settings as you would run, if you are thinking of overclocking the CPU down the line, I would chose a 1600 MHz kit with good timings (CL7)

shaoen01 said:

I actually think the CM R22 is quite nice, but like you said about the dust cover at the top of the case. Any other recommendations besides Lancool? What about CM Storm Scout? Any good?

Dust covers are not just for the top, but as a cover on all fan openings to prevent dust from entering the case.
I have had no personal experience with the Storm Scout case so can't help you with that one, sorry.

shaoen01 said:

Any thoughts on the motherboard i should get? I am torn between Asus P6X58D Premium, Asus P6X58D-E and Gigabyte UD3R apart from the price difference. I do want more bang for each buck i pay and the Premium costs quite a fair bit more. So i just want to make sure it makes a big difference if i choose that? Comments?

Hmm that is kind of hard for me to chose for you, though I would likely go with the ASUS P6X58D-E.
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
July 31, 2010 2:50:16 PM

1. The X58 platform along with their line of CPU's have enough performance and features to keep you happy for 3+ years.. So if you go ahead with a build now, you'll be in no loss regardless of how the sandybridge turns out to be..

2. Its good to get an aftermarket cooler as explained by lohdk.. Moreover, you can get a good cooler like the CM Hyper 212+ for a very good price..

3. 1TB hard drives have good levels of performance so you'll be fine with them.. I wont recommend RAID 0 config though as personally, am a little skeptical on the bad case scenario wherein data loss chances are there even if one drive fails (2 TB is a huge amount of data to risk).. IMO, you could go with a 500GB hard drive for your OS and applications.. Add another 2TB for static data such as movies, songs, pictures, videos etc..

4. As i said before, your RAM choice is fine.. G-Skill is a reliable brand.. 6 GB of 1600MHz CAS7 DDR3 RAM is a nice start.. X58 platform supports upto 24GB of RAM so you can even start with 12GB depending on your usage scenario..

5. For a 24" monitor, I'll suggest the Dell G2410.. Its not an awesome looker but has good color metrics and bears a decent price tag..

6. Choice of a PSU depends on your current setup and future plans..
m
l
July 31, 2010 3:05:35 PM

lothdk said:
No, any of the i7 900 series processors should be more than capable for the next few years.

That sounds great, so i think i might just go for the i7 9xx series then.

lothdk said:

Look at the price and warranty and decide based on that, personal preference would be E-VGA or ASUS.

I am looking at Giga vs Asus vs E-VGA and the price range between the three are quite substantial. Any big difference if i go with either? Asus or E-VGA more reliable based on your personal experience?

lothdk said:

Umm that would depend entirely on the exact model compared to others, also in the overclocking of the ram, it would depend on the motherboard. My advice would be to buy a kit with settings as you would run, if you are thinking of overclocking the CPU down the line, I would chose a 1600 MHz kit with good timings (CL7)

What do you think of Corsair TR3x as another alternative to G Skill. G Skill doesn't seem to be sold in many places at where i am located.

lothdk said:

Dust covers are not just for the top, but as a cover on all fan openings to prevent dust from entering the case.
I have had no personal experience with the Storm Scout case so can't help you with that one, sorry.

The K58 that you recommend is quite cost effective as compared to the R22 and if it helps to prevent dust from entering, then that's even better!

lothdk said:

Hmm that is kind of hard for me to chose for you, though I would likely go with the ASUS P6X58D-E.

[/quotemsg]

I am actually thinking of going with that as it seems to be the most suitable in terms of usage and budget as well.
m
l
July 31, 2010 3:12:41 PM

Emperus said:
1. The X58 platform along with their line of CPU's have enough performance and features to keep you happy for 3+ years.. So if you go ahead with a build now, you'll be in no loss regardless of how the sandybridge turns out to be..

2. Its good to get an aftermarket cooler as explained by lohdk.. Moreover, you can get a good cooler like the CM Hyper 212+ for a very good price..

3. 1TB hard drives have good levels of performance so you'll be fine with them.. I wont recommend RAID 0 config though as personally, am a little skeptical on the bad case scenario wherein data loss chances are there even if one drive fails (2 TB is a huge amount of data to risk).. IMO, you could go with a 500GB hard drive for your OS and applications.. Add another 2TB for static data such as movies, songs, pictures, videos etc..

4. As i said before, your RAM choice is fine.. G-Skill is a reliable brand.. 6 GB of 1600MHz CAS7 DDR3 RAM is a nice start.. X58 platform supports upto 24GB of RAM so you can even start with 12GB depending on your usage scenario..

5. For a 24" monitor, I'll suggest the Dell G2410.. Its not an awesome looker but has good color metrics and bears a decent price tag..

6. Choice of a PSU depends on your current setup and future plans..

1. Sounds like a good investment to go with i7 930.

3. Would it make a big difference in performance if i go for 500GB as my OS HDD vs 1TB? I think your plan sounds feasible as well. Btw, how many physical HDD can i add? Only two?

4. Just tryin to find an alternative to G Skill, since it is harder to find it where i am at. What do you think of Corsair TR3x?

5. The Dell U23 is using IPS and i am looking at this model: http://www1.ap.dell.com/sg/en/home/monitors/monitor-del...

I don't think i can find the Dell model you mentioned in your response.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2010 3:29:53 PM

shaoen01 said:

I am looking at Giga vs Asus vs E-VGA and the price range between the three are quite substantial. Any big difference if i go with either? Asus or E-VGA more reliable based on your personal experience?

There should be no substantial difference between those 3 cards (unless they are overclocked versions), just make sure that you are comparing models with the same amount of memory, they come in 768 MB and 1 GB versions. So look at what else the bundle offers and the warranty.

shaoen01 said:

What do you think of Corsair TR3x as another alternative to G Skill. G Skill doesn't seem to be sold in many places at where i am located.

They should work great, just be aware if you intend to use all of the available DIMM slots, that the height of ram "heatsink" may obstruct the fan on many aftermarket coolers.

shaoen01 said:

The K58 that you recommend is quite cost effective as compared to the R22 and if it helps to prevent dust from entering, then that's even better!

I am actually thinking of going with that as it seems to be the most suitable in terms of usage and budget as well.

Happy to have been of a little help, good luck with the builld, and do let us know how it turns out once complete. :) 
m
l
July 31, 2010 3:39:46 PM

lothdk said:
There should be no substantial difference between those 3 cards (unless they are overclocked versions), just make sure that you are comparing models with the same amount of memory, they come in 768 MB and 1 GB versions. So look at what else the bundle offers and the warranty.

They should work great, just be aware if you intend to use all of the available DIMM slots, that the height of ram "heatsink" may obstruct the fan on many aftermarket coolers.

Happy to have been of a little help, good luck with the builld, and do let us know how it turns out once complete. :) 

Definitely would let you know how it turns out!

Any particular monitors you recommend besides the Dell U23 series? Also, do you think i should invest in a soundcard or use the onboard soundcard and invest in good speakers? :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2010 10:07:06 PM

Hmm that would depend on what budget you have for a monitor. Currently I am using a Samsung XL2370 and am very satisfied with it, though if I were to buy a new one now, I would likely look into one capable of supporting 3D if it was within my budget

I would hold out on the discrete soundcard until you have tested the onboard one, as they have come a very long way, and the one used on the ASUS P6X58D-E is pretty decent.
A good pair of speakers though is always a good idea.
m
l
August 2, 2010 7:08:35 AM

lothdk said:
Hmm that would depend on what budget you have for a monitor. Currently I am using a Samsung XL2370 and am very satisfied with it, though if I were to buy a new one now, I would likely look into one capable of supporting 3D if it was within my budget

I would hold out on the discrete soundcard until you have tested the onboard one, as they have come a very long way, and the one used on the ASUS P6X58D-E is pretty decent.
A good pair of speakers though is always a good idea.

Looking the pricelists of the distributors here, the Samsung XL2370 doesn't seem quite popular here.

I think you are right about the soundcard, maybe i should test it out. Any speakers to recommend? Not looking for anything too high end due to budget constraints and too bulky as well. Some people recommend aego M

I'm in a small dilemma about the RAM again:
1. G-Skill PI PC3 1600Mhz 6GB
2. Corsair TR3X 1600Mhz

The difference between the two in price is $1. So i heard Corsair is a better brand? But i think i am more concerned on the reliability as well, do you think i should go with G Skill PI or Corsair TR3X in this case? What others would you consider? Preferably in the same price range as G Skill PI and Corsair TR3X?
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2010 10:15:00 AM

If they have the same latency and voltage settings, I would likely go with the Corsair kit.

You mentioned Kingston as available in a previous post, I would look at what they had to offer as well.

For speakers, I am not sure, I have Logitech Z5500 and was kind of impressed at the sound they produce compared to the price, but it is an area in which I really do not have much knowledge.
If possible, see if you can get an in-store demonstration of a few different models in your price range.
Hopefully others will come along with more knowledge and be able to point you in the right direction.
m
l
August 3, 2010 10:25:44 AM

lothdk said:
If they have the same latency and voltage settings, I would likely go with the Corsair kit.

You mentioned Kingston as available in a previous post, I would look at what they had to offer as well.

For speakers, I am not sure, I have Logitech Z5500 and was kind of impressed at the sound they produce compared to the price, but it is an area in which I really do not have much knowledge.
If possible, see if you can get an in-store demonstration of a few different models in your price range.
Hopefully others will come along with more knowledge and be able to point you in the right direction.

G Skill
CAS LATENCY CL6
MEMORY TIMINGS 6-8-6-20
VOLTAGE 1.6V

Corsair TR3X
Tested together at 1600MHz, Vdimm = 1.65V, at latency settings of 9-9-9-24 on Intel X58 DDR3-based motherboards.

I'm not an expert in RAM, so seeking your opinion here. Which do you think i should go for? As for the speakers, i would probably ask around a bit more as well. :lol: 
m
l
August 3, 2010 10:31:50 AM

I was just reading a crash guide on how to read RAM timings, and at a first glance now, it seems that G Skill is much better!
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
August 3, 2010 11:46:19 AM

If you are not sure with RAM parameters and/or compatibility then get the Kingston or Crucial modules.. They are the best RAM manufacturers.. Personally i'd recommend the Kingston 6GB (3 x 2GB) Hyper-X T1 DDR3 1600 MHz..
m
l
August 4, 2010 1:52:23 AM

Emperus said:
If you are not sure with RAM parameters and/or compatibility then get the Kingston or Crucial modules.. They are the best RAM manufacturers.. Personally i'd recommend the Kingston 6GB (3 x 2GB) Hyper-X T1 DDR3 1600 MHz..

Thanks for the recommendation. I understand Kingston is quite the reliable brand here. What RAM timing or range should i be looking at? I didn't know so much until it was mentioned by lothdk and i went to read up about it! :pt1cable: 
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
August 4, 2010 3:18:27 AM

The Kingston modules i mentioned run at 7-7-7-20.. Such timings are plenty good..
m
l
August 4, 2010 3:42:20 AM

Emperus said:
The Kingston modules i mentioned run at 7-7-7-20.. Such timings are plenty good..

Wow, this looks fantastic. I hope the price difference is not too great. Btw, the smaller the difference between "7-7-7" and "20" is better for a higher clock speed, am i right? Is this how i should judge which RAM is better? Very green here ... :D 
m
l
August 4, 2010 3:57:41 AM

It seems i only see "Kingston PC3 1600MHz CL9 9-9-9-27 using 1.65 volts" being offered around my location, not the CL7 you mentioned right?
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
August 4, 2010 7:08:33 AM

Hey my bad.. Those memory modules are rated at 9-9-9-27 and not 7-7-7-20..
m
l
August 4, 2010 7:34:30 AM

Emperus said:
Hey my bad.. Those memory modules are rated at 9-9-9-27 and not 7-7-7-20..

Thanks for the correction, for a moment i am thinking my location does not provide such rams! I think my questions have been answer and thank you everyone for their input.

I would select everyone as my best answer, but can't. :D  So thank you again everyone!
m
l
August 4, 2010 7:35:15 AM

Best answer selected by shaoen01.
m
l
August 8, 2010 3:27:53 AM

Hi all,

Just thought i share with everyone my final configuration, which i bought!

Processor: i7 930 + gigabyte x58a ud3r
PSU: Seasonic x750w 80plus GOLD version at $245.
Case: Cooler Master 690 Advanced II
HDD: 2 Units Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 32MB
Ram: G.SKILL PI Series 6GB 1600 CL7-8-7-24
GPU: Palit GTX 460 1GB sonic
Software: Win 7 Home Premium 64bits
Optical Drive: LG lightscribe dvdrw GH22 22x
Monitor: Samsung LED LCD BX2250 21.5 inches
m
l
!