Need help finding a motherboard

Hi, I am looking for a mother board that will support a AMD Athlon II X4 2.8 GHz.
It also needs to be able to handle dual XFX Radeon HD 5770 1 GB GDDR5's and should be able to take 6 GB (3 x 2 GB) DDR3 RAM cards.

I am having trouble finding a board that with fit these needs so can anyone out there help ?
5 answers Last reply
More about need finding motherboard
  1. You will not find an AM3 motherboard that will supports a triple-channel setup. You want to go with 4GB or 8GB setups (dual channel). You can run three stickes but you won't get the benefit of dual/triple channel.

I would look at an ASUS or Gigabyte 890GX motherboard for your needs.
  2. Ok it looks like I will go with the Gigabyte 890GX. Just to be clear, that will take dual XFX Radeon HD 5770 1 GB GDDR5's and a athlon II X4?

Also can you point me to a guide on Crossfire(ing), I have experimented with nVidia and SLI before but I would like to know about the ATI side of things. Like what parts would I need ?
  3. As long as the board has two PCIe 2.0 x16 slots running at least x8,x8 in Crossfire, you will be just fine. You didn't list the actual model # so I can't verify it for you.

Crossfire is pretty much the same structure as SLI, which uses a bridge. The motherboard or the actual GPU will come with the bridge (I'm about 95% sure it is the card that comes with the bridge). Connect both cards to the motherboard, attach the bridge, boot the PC, install the drivers and enable Crossfire, which is pretty much how you would setup SLI.
  4. tecmo34 said:
    As long as the board has two PCIe 2.0 x16 slots running at least x8,x8 in Crossfire, you will be just fine. You didn't list the actual model # so I can't verify it for you.

Crossfire is pretty much the same structure as SLI, which uses a bridge. The motherboard or the actual GPU will come with the bridge (I'm about 95% sure it is the card that comes with the bridge). Connect both cards to the motherboard, attach the bridge, boot the PC, install the drivers and enable Crossfire, which is pretty much how you would setup SLI.

http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?904436_g10e - The card I'll get (2x).
    Also will I need extra cooling. (Water or other, As you might be able to tell I'm low on money and need to skip as much as I can)
    Can you recommend a heatsink/fan and a power supply, please keep in mind that I'm going for the minimal for cost reasons. (So no need to look for something that will give extra power, just enough to survive is fine)
  5. You will not need extra cooling for those cards, as long as your case has good air flow/cooling.

I would get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus for your CPU cooling and you don't need more than the Corsair CMPSU-650TX for your system.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Support Motherboards Systems