Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 random crashes..

Last response: in CPUs
July 31, 2010 7:15:48 AM

So I installed Windows 7 two weeks ago and recently it has been crashing randomly without BSOD .it just freeze the screen ,can't press any key or open taskmanager...sometimes when playing ,surfing internet or even on idle.

I have the latest drivers installed ,here are the system specs

CPU : INTEL Core2Quad Q8300
PSU : Gamma 350W
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GT 240
RAM : 2GB
Motherboard : nForce 630i/GeForce 7100

PS : I had to update the BIOS of my motherboard to support the Q8300...

Could this be a hardware problem?

Thanks in advance!

More about : windows random crashes

a b à CPUs
July 31, 2010 8:32:19 AM

Have you overclocked your CPU or VGA ? if so,then revert back to stock speeds. also try re-installing windows and check if it helps
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2010 8:53:43 AM

I have had random crashes too, mine used to freeze when the screensaver come on. Not had one for a while though as I turned the screensaver off.

One thing that really stands out to me is we both have GT 240s? I wonder if the driver for that doesn't like Win 7 or something? What brand is your GT 240?
Related resources
July 31, 2010 9:02:14 AM

@Maziar : I didn't overclock the niether the CPU nor the GPU and I will try re-installing windows but I want this to be my last choice.

@icraig : It mostly crash when I'm working on it. I have a Gigabyte GT 240 , I don't think it's a VGA drivers problem because it's written that it supports windows 7.
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
July 31, 2010 10:22:44 AM

Im gonna say your power supply is junk, and failing.
July 31, 2010 11:38:33 AM

It is either the psu or the memory.
July 31, 2010 11:39:12 AM

@ Motopsychojdn : What is memtest used for?

and No my power supply is ok, I checked and all I need is 260watts...I have enough

@daship : No my power supply is not junk and it is not failing, After checking I found that it's good enough and it's the best selling power supply in my country.

@zipzoomflyhigh : really useful comment :p 

And I kinda fixed a part of the problem.. I figured that when running Windows Media Player ,then you sleep the pc when it's back it takes a minute and it crashes , please guys check if you have the same problem...

Still didn't fix the crashes when working.
July 31, 2010 11:42:33 AM

@kikireeki : It isn't the PSU, and how do I know if it's a memory problem?
July 31, 2010 12:03:09 PM

try to replace the memory stick with another one, or you can try memtest with your current memory. (memtest is a piece of software to test the memory for errors).
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
you can download the iso version or the auto installer v4.10 both located on the same site.
a c 103 à CPUs
July 31, 2010 4:11:02 PM

^^ beat me to it hehe.
As he said Memtest tests your memory to see if there are any problems with it, but i find that taking all the sticks out and trying to boot with one stick in at a time is more help
And as Zipzoom says, welcome to Win7, I dont know many folks who've got it and not had issues, its just life I guess
Moto
July 31, 2010 5:47:48 PM

Well I would say: Win 7 is more sensitive to bad hardware than previous versions.
August 1, 2010 3:32:11 PM

Okay, so I replaced the memory slot and so far there are no crashes at all, have been on for a day now.

Thanks so much for the help kikireeki and Motopsychojdn.
a c 103 à CPUs
August 1, 2010 3:39:07 PM

Cool, now the one you've taken out, see if you can return it to supplier and get a replacement one, glad you got sorted man
Moto
August 2, 2010 4:14:44 AM

today i unplugged and plugged the ethernet cable ,surpised to find another crash :( 
August 2, 2010 12:30:01 PM

Do not replace the memory slot, replace the memory stick itself, meaning, get or borrow another memory.
August 2, 2010 12:56:44 PM

Did you try after removing the graphics card?
August 3, 2010 3:02:07 PM

I ran memtest and found no errors..I think it isn't the ram.

I read some stuff about making a minidump file. I can't find one..

Maybe it's a software problem? Anyone please help!!!!!!!!!!!
a b à CPUs
August 3, 2010 4:26:11 PM

jojonetwork said:
@Maziar : I didn't overclock the niether the CPU nor the GPU and I will try re-installing windows but I want this to be my last choice.

@icraig : It mostly crash when I'm working on it. I have a Gigabyte GT 240 , I don't think it's a VGA drivers problem because it's written that it supports windows 7.

did the crashing start after you installed your GT240? when did you install it?

also did you install any software, driver, or any new hardware?

also, download this app: http://downloads.guru3d.com/HWiNFO32-version-3.56-downl...
install it and go to the monitor tab in the software.
then start this app: http://mersenneforum.org/gimps/p95v2511.zip and start taxing your CPU.

after 15 minutes, take a screenshot of both the application and post it here. if you PC crashes before you can take a screenshot, run it for a shorter time and take the screenshot :) 
!