10.3 Catalyst AGP hotfix drivers // Windows boot

G

Hello again TH peeps!

I recently apealed to you guys for help finding out what AGP card was compatible with my MOBO. Rolli was kind enough to point me to the 10.3 AGP hotfix which fixes the problem of "hardware not found" which I was having.

All seemed well after I installed the drivers, I rebooted - downloaded some demos of games I wasnt able to play well on my old card - booted them up and was excited about the performance boost. Finally turned off the PC and went to sleep.

This morning turn on my PC and it hangs on the "windows logo progress bar screen" (im on XP). I reboot, same deal. Next I try using 'last known configuration that worked' - still nothing. I boot into safe mode trying a few things, nothing works. Next I try launching windows repair console trying various commands thinking my boot is corrupted (/chkdsk /p; /chkdsk /p /r; fixboot; fixMBR, ect..) and none of these work either. The final thing I tried was donig a repair install of windows, which finally gets me back into my desktop. After reinstalling updates and drivers, and rebooting - Im back where I started, it hangs on the windows boot screen.

During the windows repair install I was prompted with the warning that the video drivers windows was installing were not signed (something very common when installing my drivers, im sure you guys know what im talking about, I selected "continue installing anyway" option. The thing I found strange was that I was prompted this during my windows repair install, which Ive never seen before.

That made me think ok, I must have corrupted my windows installation even worse by doing that. So I bit the bullet and completley reformatted and reinstalled XP.

Installed my chipset drivers, ran windows update - everything is fine. Then I install the 10.3 hotfix drivers, reboot, and boom - same problem. Its hanging on the Windows boot screen again (RAGE ;))

After feeling foolish for wiping my HD when I obviously didnt need to, I was at least happy to have isolated the problem. The 10.3 are somehow breaking my windows boot up. This puzzles me and is beyond my troubleshooting knowledge. I find it very strange that it worked perfectly last night for about 3 hours - But since Ive been unable to even get the drivers installed.

If I select "use last good configuration" to boot up, I can get back into windows fine now. With the drivers I just installed before the reboot being gone. Ive used this to repeatedly use different drivers (Various official versions, and the Omega drivers) and different BIOS settings (fastwrites off, various AGP settings) to no avail.

I am now about to admit defeat and put my old video card back in.

If you guys can offer any assistance to me it will be greatly appreciated! - If you need me to post any of my system information or anything just let me know.

Sorry for the length of my post, and thanks for reading

chicknfood

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I'm experiencing the same problem... only in a different order...

I had an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 on an AMD Athlon XP 2200 processor
I then upgraded to a Radeon HD 2600 Pro AGP card
This new configuration had some issues until i was able to install the correct AGP hotfix as mentioned above

Then i installed a new processor an Athlon XP 3200 processor (the fastest my Socket A mobo could handle)
Then i got the startup hang on loading screen error you mentioned. I've tried everything including the 10.5 and 10.6 hotfixes to no avail

Let me know if you fix it... i'm trying everything i can, but eventually i might try upgrading to windows 7 and see if that works.

chicknfood

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I downgraded my graphics card to a GeForce 5200 to see if it made any difference, now the graphics drivers install fine and everything works. Except now when i try to run a benchmark, i get really slow graphic scores...
Is it possible that the new CPU processor i installed could be causing this slow down? I'm going to try another card just to see if it makes any difference, maybe try overclocking as well (sigh)

porsche129

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Hello again TH peeps!

I recently apealed to you guys for help finding out what AGP card was compatible with my MOBO. Rolli was kind enough to point me to the 10.3 AGP hotfix which fixes the problem of "hardware not found" which I was having.

All seemed well after I installed the drivers, I rebooted - downloaded some demos of games I wasnt able to play well on my old card - booted them up and was excited about the performance boost. Finally turned off the PC and went to sleep.

This morning turn on my PC and it hangs on the "windows logo progress bar screen" (im on XP). I reboot, same deal. Next I try using 'last known configuration that worked' - still nothing. I boot into safe mode trying a few things, nothing works. Next I try launching windows repair console trying various commands thinking my boot is corrupted (/chkdsk /p; /chkdsk /p /r; fixboot; fixMBR, ect..) and none of these work either. The final thing I tried was donig a repair install of windows, which finally gets me back into my desktop. After reinstalling updates and drivers, and rebooting - Im back where I started, it hangs on the windows boot screen.

During the windows repair install I was prompted with the warning that the video drivers windows was installing were not signed (something very common when installing my drivers, im sure you guys know what im talking about, I selected "continue installing anyway" option. The thing I found strange was that I was prompted this during my windows repair install, which Ive never seen before.

That made me think ok, I must have corrupted my windows installation even worse by doing that. So I bit the bullet and completley reformatted and reinstalled XP.

Installed my chipset drivers, ran windows update - everything is fine. Then I install the 10.3 hotfix drivers, reboot, and boom - same problem. Its hanging on the Windows boot screen again (RAGE ;))

After feeling foolish for wiping my HD when I obviously didnt need to, I was at least happy to have isolated the problem. The 10.3 are somehow breaking my windows boot up. This puzzles me and is beyond my troubleshooting knowledge. I find it very strange that it worked perfectly last night for about 3 hours - But since Ive been unable to even get the drivers installed.

If I select "use last good configuration" to boot up, I can get back into windows fine now. With the drivers I just installed before the reboot being gone. Ive used this to repeatedly use different drivers (Various official versions, and the Omega drivers) and different BIOS settings (fastwrites off, various AGP settings) to no avail.

I am now about to admit defeat and put my old video card back in.

If you guys can offer any assistance to me it will be greatly appreciated! - If you need me to post any of my system information or anything just let me know.

Sorry for the length of my post, and thanks for reading

Anonymous & chicknfood,

Did either of you two find a solution to this problem. I am having the same problem when installing a HD 2400 Pro card in an older P4 system with the latest ATI Catalyst drivers. Thanks!