winxp home network myserious behaviour

johnm

I have just set up two new WinXP Home SP2 PCs for a friend. Both PCs
are HP t790.uk "top of the range" identical machines. I have connected
a broadband ADSL modem/router to one PC which is wired from its
integrated NIC to the router. I have disabled this machine's
integrated wireless NIC. The second PC is in a different room and is
connected by its integrated 80211 wireless NIC to the router. Both PCs
can connect to the Internet without problem; both PCs can "see" and
ping each other and can file & printer share without problem.

However, when the PC that is wired to the router is in use, the second
PC is operated "remotely" just as if remote desktop was enabled. I
have ensured that remote assistance and remote desktop are disabled on
both machines and have checked router and NIOC properties but cannot
find any explanation for this behaviour. Any ideas anyone?

john.machin1@btinternet.com (JohnM) wrote:

>However, when the PC that is wired to the router is in use, the second
>PC is operated "remotely" just as if remote desktop was enabled.

I would remove all network devices from the Device Manager and
re-setup the network using the Setup Wizard.

--
(tm)

TRENDING THREADS