TRAOD - how good/bad is it??

Gidday,

for a TR fan such as myself how good/bad is TRAOD. Reviews were fairly
negative and by what I understand the game come out more in a beta stage
than finished stage of development.
I would probably be getting the PS2 version sometime.

cheers
Nutman
7 answers Last reply
More about traod good
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "NUTMAN" <nlsing@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
    > Gidday,
    >
    > for a TR fan such as myself how good/bad is TRAOD. Reviews were fairly
    > negative and by what I understand the game come out more in a beta stage
    > than finished stage of development.
    > I would probably be getting the PS2 version sometime.
    >
    > cheers
    > Nutman

    I played the PC version through to the end, and IMO it's the controls that
    detract most from the game. It's a shame because pretty much everything else
    is really good (especially the superb musical score which I think is one of
    the best I've heard in any game). The story's good, the graphics are good,
    the level design is good. Even the bugs I experienced aren't that bad, but
    the really, really laggy controls make it so frustrating to play. If only
    they'd stuck to the tried-and-true (and much smoother/snappier) movement
    from the previous games, AOD would have been so much better. Oh, well.

    --
    Switch "dodo" and "mega" to reply by e-mail
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:42:01 +0100, "Spon349" <tom@dodomega.plus.com>
    wrote:

    >"NUTMAN" <nlsing@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
    >> Gidday,
    >>
    >> for a TR fan such as myself how good/bad is TRAOD. Reviews were fairly
    >> negative and by what I understand the game come out more in a beta stage
    >> than finished stage of development.
    >> I would probably be getting the PS2 version sometime.
    >>
    >> cheers
    >> Nutman
    >
    >I played the PC version through to the end, and IMO it's the controls that
    >detract most from the game. It's a shame because pretty much everything else
    >is really good (especially the superb musical score which I think is one of
    >the best I've heard in any game). The story's good, the graphics are good,
    >the level design is good. Even the bugs I experienced aren't that bad, but
    >the really, really laggy controls make it so frustrating to play. If only
    >they'd stuck to the tried-and-true (and much smoother/snappier) movement
    >from the previous games, AOD would have been so much better. Oh, well.

    Controls are awful (although I think there's a patch for the PC
    version that improves things somewhat). IIRC, the music has themes
    from all the other games wrapped up in a big orchestral score - not
    bad, but a bit derivative. Story-wise, it's a bit mixed. The basic
    premise isn't bad, but the execution is definitely ho-hum. Level
    design varies enormously. The initial above-ground Paris levels are
    individually very small and there's not a whole lot to do in them.
    Paris underground and the Louvre are good, as are some of the later
    levels. The puzzles are trivial.

    From a graphics point of view, full bells and whistles require a good
    graphics card (what would have been top of the range when the game
    came out). There are some horrendous texturing problems - inside-out
    characters and transparent level elements occur fairly regularly. I
    hit one show-stopping bug where the game crashed every time I went
    through a door. Since the door led to the next level, I had to grab a
    savegame from after the crash point.

    You're also lumbered with a second playable character, who doesn't add
    anything to the gameplay. It looks to me as if they didn't finish
    working on him - his animations are truly embarrassing; I've seen
    better work from amateurs for games such as Quake and Unreal
    Tournament. Pacing in the game is off - what I would regard as the
    boss monster comes some time before the end of the game. It left me
    with a distinct sense of anti-climax.

    If I were you, I'd only buy this if it's in the bottom of the bargain
    bin in the game store.

    - AG

    Holly: Rude alert! Rude alert! An electrical fire has knocked out
    my voice recognition unicycle! Many Wurlitzers are missing from my
    database! Abandon shop! This is not a daffodil. Repeat: This is _not_
    a daffodil!
    Rimmer: Well, thankfully Holly's unaffected
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > If I were you, I'd only buy this if it's in the bottom of the bargain
    > bin in the game store.

    I disagree. I'm playing it now on a 6800GT-equipped PC, at 1280x1024
    with framerates over 100fps, and it plays fine and looks great. As another
    poster noted, the musical score is very good (I enjoyed the Disco level
    immensely).

    This game simply had unrealistic system requirements at release. Just
    wait until you upgrade to the latest generation of videocards before
    attempting to play it.

    rms
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    In article <98nal01lbglcj6n4hjgbeq70bkk5hujhrq@4ax.com>, Arthur Green
    <ajgreen@REMOVE.iol.ie> writes:

    >If I were you, I'd only buy this if it's in the bottom of the bargain
    >bin in the game store.

    It's already at that stage in Wal-Mart.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    In article <20040925133938.26733.00000609@mb-m13.aol.com>,
    pkieferjr@aol.com (Paul E Kiefer Jr) wrote:

    > In article <98nal01lbglcj6n4hjgbeq70bkk5hujhrq@4ax.com>, Arthur Green
    > <ajgreen@REMOVE.iol.ie> writes:
    >
    > >If I were you, I'd only buy this if it's in the bottom of the bargain
    > >bin in the game store.
    >
    > It's already at that stage in Wal-Mart.

    It's now one of those PS2 "Greatest Hits" (Not sure what criteria they
    use...)... which in my neck-o-the-woods is $20 or less.

    -Andy-

    --
    see2go4me@yahoo.com
    http://radio.weblogs.com/0104508/

    =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "NUTMAN"
    warbled on about "TRAOD - how good/bad is it??" in a.g.t <<=

    > for a TR fan such as myself how good/bad is TRAOD. Reviews were fairly
    > negative and by what I understand the game come out more in a beta stage
    > than finished stage of development.
    > I would probably be getting the PS2 version sometime.

    My review for the PC version:
    http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/mag.dyn/Reviews/2570.html

    --
    Can't talk. Too busy playing Rome Total War.
    Currently invading: Sicilia Poeni

    The grafik is very good, the controlls are a little bit difficult, in fact
    when you are fighting
    and shoting its not possible to do a controlled movement with Lara or
    Kurtis.
    The game itself is not very difficult, there are only two or three havy
    points, so its not like
    Tomb Raider 2 or 3 (was for Tomb Raider freaks in my opinion).
    Adrian Smith (the developer of Tomb Raider) said in an interview, that he
    had no more
    ideas for more Tomb Raider Games, so AOD seems to me like that.
    The new Tomb Raider 7, maybe released in summer 2005, will be now produced
    by
    Crystal Dynamics and not longer from Core Design.

    regards Volker

    --
    http://www.laraunlimited.de
    walkthroughs with screenshots,

    "NUTMAN" <nlsing@paradise.net.nz> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Gidday,
    >
    > for a TR fan such as myself how good/bad is TRAOD. Reviews were fairly
    > negative and by what I understand the game come out more in a beta stage
    > than finished stage of development.
    > I would probably be getting the PS2 version sometime.
    >
    > cheers
    > Nutman

Video Games