TRAOD - how good/bad is it??

Gidday,

for a TR fan such as myself how good/bad is TRAOD. Reviews were fairly
negative and by what I understand the game come out more in a beta stage
than finished stage of development.
I would probably be getting the PS2 version sometime.

cheers
Nutman

"NUTMAN" <nlsing@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
> Gidday,
>
> for a TR fan such as myself how good/bad is TRAOD. Reviews were fairly
> negative and by what I understand the game come out more in a beta stage
> than finished stage of development.
> I would probably be getting the PS2 version sometime.
>
> cheers
> Nutman

I played the PC version through to the end, and IMO it's the controls that
detract most from the game. It's a shame because pretty much everything else
is really good (especially the superb musical score which I think is one of
the best I've heard in any game). The story's good, the graphics are good,
the level design is good. Even the bugs I experienced aren't that bad, but
the really, really laggy controls make it so frustrating to play. If only
they'd stuck to the tried-and-true (and much smoother/snappier) movement
from the previous games, AOD would have been so much better. Oh, well.

--
Switch "dodo" and "mega" to reply by e-mail

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:42:01 +0100, "Spon349" <tom@dodomega.plus.com>
wrote:

>"NUTMAN" <nlsing@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
>> Gidday,
>>
>> for a TR fan such as myself how good/bad is TRAOD. Reviews were fairly
>> negative and by what I understand the game come out more in a beta stage
>> than finished stage of development.
>> I would probably be getting the PS2 version sometime.
>>
>> cheers
>> Nutman
>
>I played the PC version through to the end, and IMO it's the controls that
>detract most from the game. It's a shame because pretty much everything else
>is really good (especially the superb musical score which I think is one of
>the best I've heard in any game). The story's good, the graphics are good,
>the level design is good. Even the bugs I experienced aren't that bad, but
>the really, really laggy controls make it so frustrating to play. If only
>they'd stuck to the tried-and-true (and much smoother/snappier) movement
>from the previous games, AOD would have been so much better. Oh, well.

Controls are awful (although I think there's a patch for the PC
version that improves things somewhat). IIRC, the music has themes
from all the other games wrapped up in a big orchestral score - not
bad, but a bit derivative. Story-wise, it's a bit mixed. The basic
premise isn't bad, but the execution is definitely ho-hum. Level
design varies enormously. The initial above-ground Paris levels are
individually very small and there's not a whole lot to do in them.
Paris underground and the Louvre are good, as are some of the later
levels. The puzzles are trivial.

From a graphics point of view, full bells and whistles require a good
graphics card (what would have been top of the range when the game
came out). There are some horrendous texturing problems - inside-out
characters and transparent level elements occur fairly regularly. I
hit one show-stopping bug where the game crashed every time I went
through a door. Since the door led to the next level, I had to grab a
savegame from after the crash point.

You're also lumbered with a second playable character, who doesn't add
anything to the gameplay. It looks to me as if they didn't finish
working on him - his animations are truly embarrassing; I've seen
better work from amateurs for games such as Quake and Unreal
Tournament. Pacing in the game is off - what I would regard as the
boss monster comes some time before the end of the game. It left me
with a distinct sense of anti-climax.

If I were you, I'd only buy this if it's in the bottom of the bargain
bin in the game store.

- AG

Holly: Rude alert! Rude alert! An electrical fire has knocked out
my voice recognition unicycle! Many Wurlitzers are missing from my
database! Abandon shop! This is not a daffodil. Repeat: This is _not_
a daffodil!
Rimmer: Well, thankfully Holly's unaffected

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

> If I were you, I'd only buy this if it's in the bottom of the bargain
> bin in the game store.

I disagree. I'm playing it now on a 6800GT-equipped PC, at 1280x1024
with framerates over 100fps, and it plays fine and looks great. As another
poster noted, the musical score is very good (I enjoyed the Disco level
immensely).

This game simply had unrealistic system requirements at release. Just
wait until you upgrade to the latest generation of videocards before
attempting to play it.

rms

In article <98nal01lbglcj6n4hjgbeq70bkk5hujhrq@4ax.com>, Arthur Green
<ajgreen@REMOVE.iol.ie> writes:

>If I were you, I'd only buy this if it's in the bottom of the bargain
>bin in the game store.

It's already at that stage in Wal-Mart.

In article <20040925133938.26733.00000609@mb-m13.aol.com>,
pkieferjr@aol.com (Paul E Kiefer Jr) wrote:

> In article <98nal01lbglcj6n4hjgbeq70bkk5hujhrq@4ax.com>, Arthur Green
> <ajgreen@REMOVE.iol.ie> writes:
>
> >If I were you, I'd only buy this if it's in the bottom of the bargain
> >bin in the game store.
>
> It's already at that stage in Wal-Mart.

It's now one of those PS2 "Greatest Hits" (Not sure what criteria they
use...)... which in my neck-o-the-woods is $20 or less.

-Andy-

--
see2go4me@yahoo.com
http://radio.weblogs.com/0104508/

=>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "NUTMAN"
warbled on about "TRAOD - how good/bad is it??" in a.g.t <<=

> for a TR fan such as myself how good/bad is TRAOD. Reviews were fairly
> negative and by what I understand the game come out more in a beta stage
> than finished stage of development.
> I would probably be getting the PS2 version sometime.

My review for the PC version:
http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/mag.dyn/Reviews/2570.html

--
Can't talk. Too busy playing Rome Total War.
Currently invading: Sicilia Poeni

The grafik is very good, the controlls are a little bit difficult, in fact
when you are fighting
and shoting its not possible to do a controlled movement with Lara or
Kurtis.
The game itself is not very difficult, there are only two or three havy
points, so its not like
Tomb Raider 2 or 3 (was for Tomb Raider freaks in my opinion).
Adrian Smith (the developer of Tomb Raider) said in an interview, that he
had no more
ideas for more Tomb Raider Games, so AOD seems to me like that.
The new Tomb Raider 7, maybe released in summer 2005, will be now produced
by
Crystal Dynamics and not longer from Core Design.

regards Volker

--
http://www.laraunlimited.de
walkthroughs with screenshots,

"NUTMAN" <nlsing@paradise.net.nz> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Gidday,
>
> for a TR fan such as myself how good/bad is TRAOD. Reviews were fairly
> negative and by what I understand the game come out more in a beta stage
> than finished stage of development.
> I would probably be getting the PS2 version sometime.
>
> cheers
> Nutman

TRENDING THREADS