Unexplained Rebooting

Recently, my computer (an out-of-warranty HP Pavilion 735n running XP Pro,
SP2) has started randomly rebooting itself. The MS Online Crash Analysis
indicates that it was an error caused by a device driver, which doesn't
narrow it down a whole lot. I haven't added anything recently, so there's
nothing easy to look at as the cause.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can diagnose and hopefully fix this
problem?

--
Brett

Hi Brett

Do you see any Blue Screen? If so, could you please post the Stop Code?

Also, please have a look in the Event Viewer to see if any entries there may
refer to the problem.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Brett Weiss" <lawyer@brettweiss.com> wrote in message
> Recently, my computer (an out-of-warranty HP Pavilion 735n running XP Pro,
> SP2) has started randomly rebooting itself. The MS Online Crash Analysis
> indicates that it was an error caused by a device driver, which doesn't
> narrow it down a whole lot. I haven't added anything recently, so there's
> nothing easy to look at as the cause.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas how I can diagnose and hopefully fix this
> problem?
>
> --
> Brett

No, no blue screen, just an immediate reboot (no opportunity to save).

The Event Viewer shows the System Error as:
Error code 1000007f, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 80042000, parameter3
00000000, parameter4 00000000.

--
Brett

> Hi Brett
>
> Do you see any Blue Screen? If so, could you please post the Stop Code?
>
> Also, please have a look in the Event Viewer to see if any entries there
> may
> refer to the problem.
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Brett Weiss" <lawyer@brettweiss.com> wrote in message
>> Recently, my computer (an out-of-warranty HP Pavilion 735n running XP
>> Pro, SP2) has started randomly rebooting itself. The MS Online Crash
>> Analysis indicates that it was an error caused by a device driver, which
>> doesn't narrow it down a whole lot. I haven't added anything recently, so
>> there's nothing easy to look at as the cause.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas how I can diagnose and hopefully fix this
>> problem?
>>
>> --
>> Brett

No, no blue screen, just an immediate reboot (no opportunity to save).

The Event Viewer shows the System Error as:
Error code 1000007f, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 80042000, parameter3
00000000, parameter4 00000000.

--
Brett

> Hi Brett
>
> Do you see any Blue Screen? If so, could you please post the Stop Code?
>
> Also, please have a look in the Event Viewer to see if any entries there
> may
> refer to the problem.
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Brett Weiss" <lawyer@brettweiss.com> wrote in message
>> Recently, my computer (an out-of-warranty HP Pavilion 735n running XP
>> Pro, SP2) has started randomly rebooting itself. The MS Online Crash
>> Analysis indicates that it was an error caused by a device driver, which
>> doesn't narrow it down a whole lot. I haven't added anything recently, so
>> there's nothing easy to look at as the cause.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas how I can diagnose and hopefully fix this
>> problem?
>>
>> --
>> Brett

Hi Brett,

If you send me a minidump of hte crash I can look at it in a debugger
and see if it indicates what hte issue was. To determine what driver is
causing the problem I need you to enable driver verifier.
Steps:
1) Windows Key + R
2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
5) Reboot

There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select
the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose
'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any
driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but
will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash
the blue screen will hopefully say something like
"DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". If this occurs please send the
corresponding minidump (by default it is at c:\windows\Minidump ) my way.
If you have any questions or I didn't explain something well enough don't
hesitate to e-mail me back. Good Luck,

Joshua Smith
OpenGL Test Lab
Microsoft