integrated graphics
asus p7h55-m pro mobo
tenda wireless n pci card
corsair vx-450W
WD caviar blue 500gb 7200rpm hdd
lite-on dvd-rw drive
plenty of cooling
windows 7

I have been doing a lot of tests recently using Prime95 & MemTest86+ among other programs. So far, I have found no errors or faults.

The strange thing is, twice yesterday the computer froze. Both times it happened when the following window came up, "searching for preconfigured drivers folders" It then gave an error that the driver could not be found, and then completely froze. It has froze a few times prior to this though, and i've been continually getting disconnected from my network.

I have been researching on irq conflicts, and noticed that the wireless pci adapter is being shared with the lan port among other things (possibly the onboard graphics). My BIOS is set to ACHI right now, but even when I had it on IDE I was having the same problems.

Is there any setting in the BIOS that I could change to resolve the conflict?
And if it comes to it.. Will using a Wireless USB adapter instead solve the problem?

Thanks for any help
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 18, 2011 2:15:24 PM

If your PC worked before 'some change' then my best recommendation is to first use System Restore to a day or two prior to the 'problem(s).' If you cannot boot into Windows then boot off the Windows DVD, hit F8, and select System Restore, failure try Repair. My assumption is a driver conflict over an incorrect IRQ value(s). Changing the values can help, and the situation is rare. It has been years since the root cause, for me, was a IRQ value change and then in did it via the Device Manager.

As for AHCI, first modify the registry values per the MS Link below, boot in to the BIOS, set the appropriate IDE -> AHCI, save & exit = yes. Also, don't have a DVD under AHCI - use an IDE SATA port.

MS Link -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
Set both Start values to '0' zero.

---
This is the 3rd one of these today, Windows might be updating the wrong drivers today. I don't allow Windows to 'Automatically' install, I allow it to download and check ONLY.
February 18, 2011 3:32:25 PM

jaquith said:
If your PC worked before 'some change' then my best recommendation is to first use System Restore to a day or two prior to the 'problem(s).' If you cannot boot into Windows then boot off the Windows DVD, hit F8, and select System Restore, failure try Repair. My assumption is a driver conflict over an incorrect IRQ value(s). Changing the values can help, and the situation is rare. It has been years since the root cause, for me, was a IRQ value change and then in did it via the Device Manager.

As for AHCI, first modify the registry values per the MS Link below, boot in to the BIOS, set the appropriate IDE -> AHCI, save & exit = yes. Also, don't have a DVD under AHCI - use an IDE SATA port.

MS Link -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
Set both Start values to '0' zero.

---
This is the 3rd one of these today, Windows might be updating the wrong drivers today. I don't allow Windows to 'Automatically' install, I allow it to download and check ONLY.

No, my PC has been freezing since it was built. Windows 7 works fine on the current AHCI mode, but as you suggested, I will switch it back to IDE so the DVD drive will work properly.

I have had no problems with the computer other than the freezes. The RAM is not faulty, and the psu gives out plenty of power. This leads me to believe that the pci wireless card is causing the IRQ conflict since it happens when windows wants to install drivers for the device. Can I manually configure the IRQ in the BIOS just to try?
Related resources
February 18, 2011 4:20:10 PM

btw, I think PnP OS is set to 'disabled/no' (by default) in the BIOS. I will only be using windows 7 on this computer, so will it help if I set it to 'enabled'?
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 18, 2011 4:29:41 PM

You can run your HDD on the AHCI, and DVD on IDE. In your BIOS it 'should' list which is SATA ports AHCI {normally the first 4}, and which are IDE.

Open the Event Manager to determine what's causing the BSOD/Lock-ups; look at the items listed in the [+] Critical tree as shown below.

To rule-out a conflict, run MSCONFIG -> select Diagnostic. Also, in the Device Manager you can first try to Disable the PCIe WiFi, if you no longer have ANY issues then you'll know it's the WiFi. If it is the WiFi then open the Device Manager, Uninstall the PCI WiFi, Install the latest Driver, and restart.

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 18, 2011 4:39:44 PM

sean611 said:
btw, I think PnP OS is set to 'disabled/no' (by default) in the BIOS. I will only be using windows 7 on this computer, so will it help if I set it to 'enabled'?

Assuming PCIPnP then yes you can try it, I generally prefer the BIOS vs OS to have control; overall less problems.

However, if ANY of your other devices are not PCIPnP 'friendly' you'll have even more problems...
!