Sign in with
Your question

What's recommended?

Last response: in CPUs
July 31, 2010 5:56:09 PM

I'm buying a Mac. Not a PC, I already have one, but a Mac. However, in terms of what I can best afford, could someone help me choose what provides the best performance?

http://store.apple.com/uk-business/configure/MC510B/A?m...

With 3.60GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 2TB HARD DRIVE, ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM.

OR

http://store.apple.com/uk-business/configure/MC511B/A?m...

With 4GB RAM, 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 2TB HARD DRIVE, ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM.

I could probably afford more RAM on the second iMac but in terms of what would be the better performance, and whether the steeper price would give enough of a better performance to warrant the price bump, what is best?

Generally speaking, I'd love to be able to play The Sims 3 on the highest settings but nothing else really interests me gaming wise, I do have a PC for that, but might use bootcamp if it's worth it.

Anyway, any opinions would be greatly appreciated - I want to know what would let me play The Sims 3 on the highest settings on a MAC, not a PC. And generally just whether the benefits of the quad core processor would actually be used, by The Sims 3 or otherwise.

More about : recommended

a b à CPUs
July 31, 2010 7:34:26 PM

Dude, it won't take much to play the Sims 3, both configs are overkill. The Mac operating system is very efficient so you don't need half the power they force on you, get whatever is cheapest. Also 4GB is more than enough RAM.
m
l
a c 199 à CPUs
July 31, 2010 7:40:31 PM

What else are you planning on doing with your system? Either of those two will max out sims 3 easily.
m
l
Related resources
July 31, 2010 8:03:34 PM

Oh cool. So what about modern warfare then? would that work. The only other things I'd want to do is edit a lot of video, including HD video but I won't bother with quad core unless there are a lot of benefits, and I can always upgrade the RAM another time. If I were to use bootcamp, would the larger RAM help? And quad core?
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2010 8:29:13 PM

If you want to do some serious gaming, then you need to bootcamp. 4GB is plenty for boot camp and a 5750 will run MW and WM2 fine.
m
l
July 31, 2010 8:31:23 PM

I have the 5770 on my PC and the 5750 is just a step below. I can run mw and mw2 with ease on high settings.

Also, if you plan on doing serious video editing with huge workload, i7 is the way to go. You may not need it now, but its a good future-proof. However, if you are just going to become a recreational video editor (school videos, youtube) then i5 is more than enough.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
July 31, 2010 8:37:12 PM

I can even play MW2 on high-medium at 1080p without AA with my old 3870.
As for the benefit of the quad, I'm pretty sure most video editing programs would benefit from the quad but the dual core would still perform really well.

haha AMW1011. Wadern Morfare 2 :p 
m
l
!