Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[CPU/PSU] Random freezes overheating/bad PSU?

Last response: in Components
July 31, 2010 6:49:02 PM

Hey guys, first time poster here so go easy on me if I left out anything obvious :D 
I've got a three year old system with a power supply that was upgrades roughly 1 1/2 years ago. Recently I've been having an issue where the computer will freeze randomly after a short period of usage. No more than 10 minutes before it would freeze. I figured the CPU was overheating, so I cleaned out the CPU fan. Lo and behold it starts up and runs fine now for a couple hours. But it still freezes. After a freeze, I'll restart it and it will usually freeze again in a much shorter period of time. So I'm wondering if it's still an overheating problem or if my PSU is bad? How would I tell if my PSU is going?

Specs:
Pentium 4 3.2GHz (dual core)
1GB DDR2 RAM
GeForce 9500 GT
ECS RC410L motherboard
xclio 600W power supply.

Readings from speedfan:
Temperatures:
GPU 47C
Temp 1: 38C
Temp 2: 39C
Core: 47C

Voltages: Anything not listed here was right on target (ex 12V was 11.9V)
Vcore1 & 2 voltages: 1.22, 1.20V
-12V: -7.84V
-5V: -1.79V
Vbat: 3.12V

edit: should also mention the fan in the PSU is sounding a little funny. just louder than normal I suppose. I keep the desktop on nearly 24/7 if that's useful info. Also, when I cleaned the CPU fan off I removed the heatsink from the CPU to do the cleaning. This is probably a very amateurish question but do I need to reapply the thermal paste after doing that?

Thanks in advance guys!

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2010 8:51:13 PM

You would need to first clean off the thermal paste, then apply a small amount on the processor and spread it out evenly before putting the HSF back on - it probably is still overheating as the CPU without thermal paste makes it harder for the CPU to dissipate heat into the heatsink which could cause overheating problems.
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2010 8:57:03 PM

Your temps look good.

Check the event viewer to see if windows is logging some errors.
start-->run-->eventvwr.msc-->look at the application and system logs for errors (red X's).
m
l
Related resources
August 1, 2010 7:11:15 PM

Nothing interesting in the event log. No errors before the crash (or anywhere for that matter).
m
l
August 9, 2010 4:35:35 AM

Best answer selected by akcom.
m
l
!