Hey guys, first time poster here so go easy on me if I left out anything obvious
I've got a three year old system with a power supply that was upgrades roughly 1 1/2 years ago. Recently I've been having an issue where the computer will freeze randomly after a short period of usage. No more than 10 minutes before it would freeze. I figured the CPU was overheating, so I cleaned out the CPU fan. Lo and behold it starts up and runs fine now for a couple hours. But it still freezes. After a freeze, I'll restart it and it will usually freeze again in a much shorter period of time. So I'm wondering if it's still an overheating problem or if my PSU is bad? How would I tell if my PSU is going?
Voltages: Anything not listed here was right on target (ex 12V was 11.9V)
Vcore1 & 2 voltages: 1.22, 1.20V
edit: should also mention the fan in the PSU is sounding a little funny. just louder than normal I suppose. I keep the desktop on nearly 24/7 if that's useful info. Also, when I cleaned the CPU fan off I removed the heatsink from the CPU to do the cleaning. This is probably a very amateurish question but do I need to reapply the thermal paste after doing that?
You would need to first clean off the thermal paste, then apply a small amount on the processor and spread it out evenly before putting the HSF back on - it probably is still overheating as the CPU without thermal paste makes it harder for the CPU to dissipate heat into the heatsink which could cause overheating problems.