Asus p6x58d-e won't post after installing video card

Lordy

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
hi,

i've pulled my ram and it gives the proper beep error codes, then when i pull the video card it also gives the proper beep error codes,

but when i install the graphics card it no longer beeps.

any ideas? i've read through http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems already and got to this part

21. If you have integrated video and a video card, try the integrated video port. Resetting the bios, can make it default back to the onboard video.

I also wanted to add some suggestions that user jsc often posts. This is a direct quote from him:

"Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU.

To eliminate the possiblility of a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU, you will need to pull the motherboard out of the case and reassemble the components on an insulated surface. This is called "breadboarding" - from the 1920's homebrew radio days. I always breadboard a new or recycled build. It lets me test components before I go through the trouble of installing them in a case.

If you get the long beeps, add a stick of RAM. Boot. The beep pattern should change to one long and two or three short beeps. Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out the PSU (very rare). Long single beeps indicates that the BIOS does not recognize the presence of the RAM.

If you get the one long and two or three short beeps, test the rest of the RAM. If good, install the video card and any needed power cables and plug in the monitor. If the video card is good, the system should successfully POST (one short beep, usually) and you will see the boot screen and messages.

Note - an inadequate PSU will cause a failure here or any step later.
Note - you do not need drives or a keyboard to successfully POST (generally a single short beep).

If you successfully POST, start plugging in the rest of the components, one at a time. "

it doesnt really say what i should try if theres silence after installing the video card. I'm assuming that it means that the video card would be bad, but I don't have any other cards to test. I'll be getting a video card tomorrow (hopefully) so I can try it later, but if i could solve it before then (knowing for sure its a bad video card would be great)

regards,

asus p6x58d-e
xfx 5850
i7 930
gskill ram
antec tp750

Lordy

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
hi,

i've figured out the problem. With the antec tp 750, when I plugged in the 2 pci-e power supplies that came attached, it wasn't working, but when I connected two of the modular wires and connected it to my video card, it worked.

does anyone have an idea as to what this signifies? and should i rma my psu?