Phenom II X6 1090T vs i7 930

smukase

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
**EXCUSE ME IT S SUPPOSED TO BE phenom x6 1090T VS 1055T, WONT LET ME EDIT SO I CAN ONLY QUICK EDIT**

Hello everyone,

can someone please tell me whether it s worth upgrading my current athlon x3 435 cpu to the phenom 1090T or 1055T? I recently bought a pc which is considerably much better than my older one cuz i think i have a good base (4g ram, a hd5770, a GA-MA785GMT-UD2H mainboard, 500w psu, win7 etc). it all cost me like €700 but that s because of the cheap athlon 435 cpu, otherwise i wudnt have been able to afford it.

but now i can upgrade in peace what needs to be upgraded cuz i knew i wud have to do that soon enuf anyways. if it s compatible i might even be able to add sum space and ram from my older pc. obviously the x3 435 is bringing the performance down cuz am sure my pc can do better but which cpu will bring out the maximum performance and quality out of my hd5770? btw I play games (strategy/sim/rpg/god-games) a bit more than I use PS and paintshop pro but i do digital art too quite a bit, i also download a lot of stuff and stream shows and movies. that s pretty much what i need the pc for but i wud like it to shine more in games and photoshop. i rarely ever try out heavy games like crysis so i defo wont be needing any of the highest systems out there any time soon if ever. but i do need my pc to be very future-ready and strong.

Can someone pliz recommend smth for me between these two or suggest smth else? btw what are your views on buying hardware from sites like ebay?

please help me out, i wud really appreciate it.

lowriderflow

Distinguished
Theres no reason to throw a 6core processor in there... it will show you hardly any increase in gaming or digital art (unless you're running multiple games and digital art on teh same time across multiple monitors)

As far as using your old RAM... you need to figure out what type of RAM it is (ddr2? ddr3?) also which motherboard you have? And do you have RAM slots opeN?

smukase

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

Damn cudnt edit my message in time cuz there were sum other things i needed to clear up. btw excuse me for the i7 930, i meant between the 1090T vs 1055T.

well thing is i really do play sims 3 a lot and it s a game with expansions. in the past they have always slowed down performance a lot especially because i use a lot of modded custom content made by other players but then again i had a worthless acer. i am aware of these things now more than before because the games are getting heavier every year and by the time the sims 4 will be released, i dont want to have to worry about upgrades and whatnot. it s not the heaviest game out there i know that but i want 200% comfort. i dont want anything to get in the way to slow down performance or spoil the quality or anything else. btw i noticed that because of my previous slow pc, i ended up spending more hours trying to get smth done because of lags (building a house or family etc) which made me spend more time playing than i d like or than i have to. that s also why i wanted this upgrade so much. i had my new pc set up with the idea of upgrading it anyways. since i also like trying out new things, i d like to have a system that s future ready.

regarding ps, no i dont use multiple monitors so u probably know better that i dont need 6 cores cuz i really have no idea, i dont understand much about cores. altho benchmarks say different. most of the testing doesnt use multiple monitors or am i wrong? i really have no idea cuz i dun follow all the details so i might be talking out of my ass. it s just different resolutions and different graphic cards and overclocking abilities etc right? well the high end cpus always performed better. there was somewhere i read that there are more factors in getting the right pc but bottom line is that the graphics will ultimately rely on your needs and how u choose and combine your gpu and cpu and how cool u can keep everything if u r demanding a lot from ur pc. that s what i got out of it. i think my current gpu is pretty safe, that s why i was worrying about the cpu but am trying to get as much info as possible. well i mean i have a very tight budget and i dont want to spend any more money on my pc for the coming 5 years but i also want to be in a comfortable position. the mainboard does have a lot of slots open yes, it can take up to 16gb, if that s what u meant. i still have to check everything but i was planning to do it all at once together with the upgrade. i have to pay someone to come do everything cuz i am pretty pc illiterate and i also dont want to break anything. that s why i depend on advice so much but i dont want to have any nasty regrets either. So what would you pliz recommend to get me that max graphics experience cuz u say this wont affect anything?

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
To answer your question about the 1055T and the 1090T. The only real difference is stock clocks and multiplier (1090T has an unlocked multiplier, allowing for better overclocking flexibility). However, if your RAM and Mobo can keep up with the OC the 1050T is still a great overclocker.

smukase

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

i dont plan on oc-ing anything because i dont think i wud need to if the performance is how i like it. i dunno what other choices in cpus that r out there that r better than these two cuz this is only what i ve concluded from benchmarks so i dont know much. what i do know is that i really have to get rid of this x3 435 while it s still as good as new so maybe i can get sum cash out of it even if it s just €50 cuz i dun think a lot of ppl will stand in line for it :) well i cant afford to upgrade both gpu and cpu either so what cpu wud u recommend based on my needs?

The 1055t is enough for your needs. 90% of the time I recommend it because it is a much more worthwhile buy. $100 difference between the two is excessive. But there is an exception. If you plan to never overclock and keep your current setup for 4-5 years, you might want to invest in the 1090t as a better bet.

Will it make a difference for you? I don't believe so. Everything you've mentioned can be done comfortably with the Athlon IIx3, so I don't think you will see much difference. Most games cannot use more than 3 CPU cores.
Will the Phenom IIx6 last you longer without an upgrade? Yes, as we move more towards multi-threading. So the CPU itself is a worthwhile purchase.

I'll try and clarify or answer any additional questions below:
i dont understand much about cores but why do benchmarks say different? most of the testing doesnt have multiple monitors, just high resolution and better graphic cards and overclocking?
It will depend on how many CPU cores the game can utilize. The better graphics cards will certainly make more of a difference than a CPU upgrade.

which cpu will bring out the maximum performance and quality out of my hd5770?
With the exception of games like Dragon age, GTA4 and Flight simulator X, your current CPU is not holding back your graphics performance. The games I mentioned can use more than 3 CPU cores. But I doubt you will notice any difference with an upgrade anyway except with Flight Simulator X. That said, future games may use more cores.

shine more in games and photoshop. very future-ready and strong.
That just about sums up the reasons for the x6. Although I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as a "future ready" CPU, the x6 is the best bet. I'm not sure, but I believe photoshop can use all 6 cores.
Based on this benchmark:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/25
I can see that photoshop makes good use of more cores. So the x6 is a good idea for it. The x6 2.8GHz beating out the x4 3.4GHz phenom II is a good sign of that.

by the time the sims 4 will be released, i dont want to have to worry about upgrades and whatnot. it s not the heaviest game out there i know that but i want 200% comfort. i dont want anything to get in the way to slow down performance or spoil the quality or anything else.
In that case, the radeon 5770 might not cut it. I'm not too knowledgeable about the sims series though.

i dont want to spend any more money on my pc for the coming 5 years but i also want to be in a comfortable position
That's a lot to expect. And really, your only choice is the 6 core. As for GPU, you never know what the future holds but I personally don't think you will be able to make it past 3 years without an upgrade if you keep playing current games and want to not sacrifice settings and resolution. Doesn't mean you won't be able to play the less demanding games in 5 years. My radeon 3870 is 3 years old and I can play everything comfortably. Some newer games I have to play at 720p instead of 1080p. And more demanding games like Cryostasis I simply cannot play comfortably at all. You might want to look into a new graphics card in 3 years though.

So what would you pliz recommend to get me that max graphics experience cuz u say this wont affect anything?
A graphics card upgrade. To a GTX480 or radeon 5870. But those are probably beyond your budget, so I do recommend you stick it out for 3 years if you get the 1055t and then upgrade your graphics again.

i have to pay someone to come do everything cuz i am pretty pc illiterate and i also dont want to break anything.
It's a lot easier and less dangerous than it may seem. Ensure you have a static free area by grounding yourself first, turn off an unplug the computer, then you can just slip the GPU in the slot and turn on the computer and install the new drivers.
You can also find diagrams to make sure you use the right slot. Don't force anything.
So, if you ever change your mind on that, there are a lot of people willing to help you along and a lot of recources :D

On another note, you might want to wait until next year to upgrade because new processors from AMD and Intel will bring more competition to the market. Plus I have heard that AMD will release the radeon 6xxx series this December.

Anyway, hope I was able to help. If you have any more questions or need clarification, let me know and I'll try to help.

+1

Couldn't answered the question and additional unasked questioned any better my self.

As with everyone else, Im up for the 1055t. Although if you want it to last just a little bit longer from the slightly extra speed and not overclock the 1055t, i would say then 1090t.

+2 for Enzo Matrix
I think you're in a pretty good position right now.
With new CPUs and video cards coming out in the next few months if you can hang in there a few more months you should be hearing enough 'good intel' to know if you should wait, or jump on the X6 1055T.

smukase

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

oh wow ok thanx a lot for clearing that up. thnx so much like u have no idea lol i needed certainty and this helps a lot! :)

well i m not a very patient person as in, when i have smth on my mind i need to deal with it so am thinking that even if i get the 1090T (since am not too keen about overclocking like warmon6 suggests), i wud still want to get that gpu as soon as possible just to get things over with and also since i d still be where i am now without the gpu. am figuring that i ll be able to maybe get back the quarter amount of this upgrade from what i sell afterwards (my current gpu and cpu).

now considering my GA-MA785GMT-UD2H mainboard, would it be better to opt for the hd 5970 gpu, if i can (endure the suffering and) afford it? can it work with my mainboard and will it affect anything, performance etc? cuz i cant even begin to think of upgrading the mainboard too. also will i need any extra ram for it or will it be better with more ram? i have 4g but i still have 2g from my old pc that i could add.

again thnx so so much

smukase

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

thnx so so much for the feedback btw

well i dont think i shud be waiting for anything new to come out XD as in already, i will have to do my outmost best to afford this upgrade that am trying to do. for starters i have to wait till september to get the cpu, as for the 5970 gpu i ll have to wait for 2 more months even for the price as it is now and i dont think it wud drop so soon.

if it did i wud be lucky but i still dont think i wud be able to afford anything upcoming. but if the 1090T cpu and hd5970 upgrade wud get me a really long way then wudnt that be the wiser investment to make? i kno that apparently amd cpus will always fall behind intel's in terms of technology, whether they r cheaper or not.

but well am not really too into all that, eventho the i7 930 is considerably cheaper right now here in belgium (like €219, which is much cheaper than the 1090T at €263). am just happy with whatever works for me and right now my mainboard only works with amd so i have no choice. i ve had the most worthless acer working for 7 years at maximum strain so am not aiming too high lol :) so wud u greatly recommend this combo upgrade or is the 5970 overkill?

Right now, the 5970 is most definitely overkill for the games you are playing, but you seem very adamant on not upgrading within the next 5 years, so if you can afford it, it's the only thing that might last you. A radeon 5870 would last you too though. I tend to shy away from a multi-GPU system.

You say you intend to get the CPU in september, that would work. The GPU you said 2 months later so that would be... in november. That works too, if you can't wait for the 6xxx series.

but if the 1090T cpu and hd5970 upgrade wud get me a really long way then wudnt that be the wiser investment to make?
I don't normally recommend that. I find your money goes further if you upgrade to the best "bang for your buck" parts every year or two. That said, a 6 core and 5970 would go a long way.

so wud u greatly recommend this combo upgrade or is the 5970 overkill?
Normally, I would recommend that you get the 1090t, wait until you feel your system can't keep up, then get the 5970 or whatever better card is around when you want to upgrade.

can it work with my mainboard and will it affect anything, performance etc?
You'll be fine. The 785G chipset is a good chipset.

also will i need any extra ram for it or will it be better with more ram? i have 4g but i still have 2g from my old pc that i could add.
Your ram literally has nothing to do with your graphics card. That why GPUs have dedicated memory. Your performance will not be increased by more ram. 4GB is also an ideal amount today for current games.
That said, 5 years ago, 512MB was considered really good. It's hard to say if 4GB of memory will last you 5 years, but a ram upgrade is the easiest of all.

i kno that apparently amd cpus will always fall behind intel's in terms of technology, whether they r cheaper or not.
Athlon 64 anyone? Both cheaper and more powerful than the pentium 4? AMD first to 64-bit and first to dual cores?
Point is you never know what the future holds. Current AMD processors are not nearly as much of a jump from the old Athlon 64s as the core 2s and i7s are a jump from the pentium 4.
If you are talking about today's technology, all processors are generally at price points that reflect their performance. The 1090t is better than the i7 930 for tasks that can use more than 4 CPU cores efficiently, which is the target market for the AMD 6 cores.

Anyway, good luck with your upgrade choices. :D

Busting your budget with the idea that it will 'last' five years if you do is ALWAYS a bad idea.
If you're the type of person who isn't satisfied with a 10 month old system x3 435/ HD 5770 how can you possibly think you'd be happy with a 3yr old x6/HD 5970?

I had a major cringe thinking about a X6 1090T/HD 5970 in a budget 785G motherboard or that you'd think a 500W PSU would work for a 5970.
Sure, it would work (at least as long as you took care of the PSU issue).
Im getting a bad feeling about this topic.

smukase

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
nooooo :??: i came here so i wudnt have to make any mistakes so u really have to tell me like hey it s a bad idea dont do it, don't! lol dont cringe cuz am picturing it and it s scaring me XD i really need u guys cuz am kind of a dumass, makes sense doesnt it lol i mean i really really have no clue what am doing. it did cross my mind that it wud be too much for my psu, but it s hard to think logically about things i dont know that well. ok so what would u really recommend, a quad core like the x4 965 and the hd 5870 card instead?

if u guys say it my mind will be set. as in i wont even be worried about any 5890 or whatever else that comes up.

well to answer that, my new pc is only about 5 months old, but i really couldnt afford anything better. but since i needed it fast i thought of getting smth that i can upgrade right after, it s not really that am unhappy with my current cpu and gpu, but it s not exactly what i wanted. it s only what i could afford. but i figured since they were both not bad at all, afterwards i wud be able to sell them for a bit more than half of what i bought them at if i dont wait too long. especially with new things coming out ever 6 months or smth. that s why i want to do it now

anyways u see, am a bit insane cuz i get very excited when i see smth shiny or flashy, that s why eventho enzo matrix presented me with the 5870 the first time, my brain was already fired up as far as the upcoming 6000 series so really dont mind me. i wasnt even really that excited about the 1090T at first until i saw the benchmarks cuz i personally think both 1055 and 1090 r too expensive for their worth. i only got fired up cuz i wanted to be way up there http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+II+X6+1090T lol that s why i dont understand why the first reply said that i wudnt see any difference in performance. but i think maybe i understand now that it s because of what it s capable of and not necessarily what i need it to do.

ok here s the thing. i admit what am actually really worried about most is my sims 3 game cuz i kno most applications like ps will work ok on almost anything. that s really the game i play most of the time and others like tropico 3 or age of empires, cities xl etc i rarely play FPS. i just want to max out everything comfortably in sims 3 cuz am sure that if that goes well then most of the other rpg or strategy games will be ok. when i say 5 years i dont really mean it litterally, i just mean a long enough time. ok i understand the psu is an issue so the 5870 is ok. so what about the cpu, shud i go with the cheaper x4 956, will it make my games shine?

smukase

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

thnx a lot, i still have to bother u with a few last things, the same as i asked W6 cuz u two seem to have slightly different opinions. well like he said the 5970 defo wont be able to work with my current 500watt psu. so i guess i ll have to settle with the 5870 card. well that s settled but the cpu is still an issue.
it would be good news to hear that i can go with the x4 965 instead cuz it is considerably cheaper and it wud defo be the best for my buck. will it deliver well together with the 5870 or is the six core better? strictly in terms of performance then, i ll stop worrying myself too much about the future.

secondly here is my pc shop http://www.power4pc.be/webshop/grafischekaarten/pci-eati as u can see everything am talking about is there and it s where i bought my pc too. it s the cheapest pc shop i know. i wanted to ask u, as u can see at the top of the page asus's 5870 matrix is at €467 with 2gb which is better right? well benchmarks say so. and so that means it s like getting two cards for the price of one cuz everywhere else 1gb is €490 to 500 anyways right? and like u ve mentioned before most games are not using more than 2 cores anyways so they depend on the gpu right? so wud it be a good deal to get this card in 2gb or is it overkill too?

it s not smth i decided myself, i just noticed while going through the prices and i thought it was a typo but it isnt. i had no idea there was one at 2gb.

will it deliver well together with the 5870 or is the six core better? strictly in terms of performance then, i ll stop worrying myself too much about the future.
More than in that case. You are more than all set.

asus's 5870 matrix is at €467 with 2gb which is better right?
Currently, no games that I know of can take advantage of more than 1GB of GPU memory. So there will be zero performance difference.

well benchmarks say so.
What benchmarks? This benchmark says they are the exact same:
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/asus_matrix_5870/10.html

and so that means it s like getting two cards for the price of one cuz everywhere else 1gb is €490 to 500 anyways right?
I think I misunderstand you. You are comparing a 2GB 5870 with a 1GB 5870. There is no doubling of performance because you have more video memory. There is no performance gain at all.

and like u ve mentioned before most games are not using more than 2 cores anyways so they depend on the gpu right?
My mistake if I said that. I meant to say most current games do not use more than 3 CPU cores.
If I was talking about crossfire/SLI and scaling, I meant to say that 2 GPUs does not equal 2x performance. Most modern games support SLI/crossfire but you can reasonably expect 150-180% of the performance of a single card.

so wud it be a good deal to get this card in 2gb or is it overkill too?
No. No deal. Not overkill. No performance difference at all.