New System, MB will boot with 1 stick of ram but not 2

Just finished a new build and I can't get the computer to run with both sticks of ram. It works fine with just 1 stick, and I have tested it with both.

Motherboard is BIOSTAR A770E3 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
Ram is Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996586

It will boot with 1 stick and I have tested both sticks individually and they both work.
Tested all the approved dual channel modes.
Tested with RAM @ 1.65v and @ 1.6v
8 answers Last reply
More about system boot stick
  1. So you've installed the ram in slots A1 and B1.
    And you've run a good program like Memtest86+ at mobo default values.
    Is that correct?
    Ram is vendor spec 1.5v btw.
  2. From the Biostar website:

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/memory_report.php?S_ID=450

Mushkin memory is not on the QVL..
  3. davcon said:
    So you've installed the ram in slots A1 and B1.
    And you've run a good program like Memtest86+ at mobo default values.
    Is that correct?
    Ram is vendor spec 1.5v btw.

Yes, I can only get it to run with 1 ram stick in a1. Adding a stick to b1 and it will not load. I have also tried running a2 and b2 with no luck.

I troubleshot the problem in the homebuilt forum previously and they have me try at 1.6 and 1.65v to see if that would get the ram to work.

I have not run any programs, I do not even have an OS on the system yet. Wanted to sort out this before going further.
  4. meekers said:
    Yes, I can only get it to run with 1 ram stick in a1. Adding a stick to b1 and it will not load. I have also tried running a2 and b2 with no luck.

I troubleshot the problem in the homebuilt forum previously and they have me try at 1.6 and 1.65v to see if that would get the ram to work.

I have not run any programs, I do not even have an OS on the system yet. Wanted to sort out this before going further.

Have you tried running 1 stick in B1 only? or B2 only? just trying to eliminate a bad DIMM slot... :bounce:

Look here:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

especially @ step 6.
  5. Just tried all 4 slots. It will boot from A1 and A2...it will not boot from B1 or B2.
  6. Possible it's a bad Motherboard.
  7. I finally got it to work by putting the ram into A1 and A2 out of frustration. Booted up fine and windows detects both sticks.

Unless I am blind this is contrary to the motherboard manual.
  8. meekers said:
    I finally got it to work by putting the ram into A1 and A2 out of frustration. Booted up fine and windows detects both sticks.

Unless I am blind this is contrary to the motherboard manual.

Lol! on my latest 1156 build i bought a MSI 1156 mobo and against my better judgement switched the already properly placed ram to what the manual specified.
    Stupid manual!
    Good to hear you solved your problem:)
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards RAM Dual Channel