Couple of questions about the Intel 330 series

ProGamer643

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Hey

I am planning to get this 60GB SSD in a few weeks.

1. How would I connect it inside my PC? Is it the same deal as connecting a HDD, where you attach the data and power cables? If so, can I use the spare SATA cables that came with my pc?

2. Is the Intel 330 series 60GB SSD the best value and performance for money? I intend to use it primarily for my games, such as Battlefield 3, Call of Duty 4 and Flight Simulator X

I understand the SSD is a completely worthwhile upgrade from a traditional HDD (I have a Caviar Blue 1TB @7200rpm), but there are just so many different types of SSDs I'm afraid I'll buy something that doesn't fit or is the wrong type.

Thanks

ProGamer643

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

Thanks for the information :)

Not next month but yesterday. The move to drop prices on our Intel® SSD 320's, 330's and 520's happened yesterday. While it may take a while for the reselllers to start showing all the new prices (You can already see some of them on Newegg.com, They have the Intel SSD 330 180GB for $159).

If you are planning on using the drive as an OS + Program drive + a couple of Games recommend you get a larger SSD. A 60 gig SSD is really only about 50 gigs of usable space. While some get by with a 60 gig, there are some who regreate the choice.

The Curcial m4 and the samsung 830 (both are sata III and backwards compatable to SATA II) are often on sale for just over $100 @ newegg and They are almost as good as the Intel SSDs for reliability/ least user problems.

odiervr

Honorable
May 1, 2012
I'm a noob with 1 build. I got a intel 330 SSD. It's the best part of my build (a constant smile when turning on/off !! ) . Off to on in 30 sec (that's with password entered). Surfing is incredibly fast - loads as fast as u can click.

1. As far as installing - it's the same as an SATA HDD. 2 cords: 1 for power, one for data (yes on the spare SATA). Size is smaller - note to self - look in your case for a 2.5" SDD holder. If none you can either purchase a 3.5" case for your SDD -OR- you can get some velcro tape at Home Depot.
2. I'm cheap and got my 180 GB on sale or $140. I would not go below 120 gb. FYI: I have windows 7, World of Tanks, and Diablo III loaded and I'm 1/3 full.
3. I'd say the intel 330 120 GB is the best value to performance.
4. I reused a 500 gb HDD for pics and music. Easy to add however, I would only connect the SDD by itself to the MOBO while loading windows. Youtube Newegg computer building video 2 & 3 for install & software install specifics and how to's - follow the directions and you'll be there ! GL !

NEWEGG today's prices:
60 gb = $70
120 gb = $100
180 gb = $160

While an SSD will show a BIG improvement on OS load time and for Program Load time, it will NOT improve surfing the web - That is limited by you Connection speed (Ref above comment: Surfing is incredibly fast). Programs do NOT run faster nor do they increase FPS in game play.