Unaccounted disk useage.

Hi

I'm unable to account for about 10 GB of space on my 128 GB SSD. This is C: drive where a single installation of Windows 7 exists. I've just completed a re-install of Win7. Here's where I'm at...


Samsung 830 128 GB SSD
Windows shows as 119 GB with 80.3 GB free.
When I select all contents of C: and do properties it shows size on disk as 13.5 GB.
Paging File Size: ~16 GB

C: contents + paging file = 29.5 GB + 80.3 free space = 109.8 GB
119.24 GB - 109.8 GB = 9.44 GB unaccounted for usage.

I'm guessing that I have just overlooked something but I'd like to make sure I don't have anything left over from my previous installation.

Assistance appreciated
J


Other details...
-Disk 0 119.24 GB
-100 MB System Reserved
-119.14 GB NTFScmd.exe
-Paging File Size (set to Automatic): 16360 MB
-TRIM enabled.
15 answers Last reply
More about unaccounted disk useage
  1. System Restore.
  2. anonymous1 said:
    System Restore.


    Current Usage: 1.60 GB

    I deleted the restore points, my hard drive is now at 80.4 GB free space. Note: the difference from main post is attributed to Windows Updating.
  3. It could be the hibernation file. I'm guessing you have 8GB of RAM?
  4. bookwormsy said:
    It could be the hibernation file. I'm guessing you have 8GB of RAM?



    16 GB

    But I do not have hiberfil.sys on my disk and there is no hibernate option on my shut down menu. Machine is desktop.
  5. No storage device, including SSD, HHD, USB, RAM, are exactly what they are listed as. It is a guestimated number. Sometimes you get more than the listed amount, normally you get less.

    Edit:

    I am at work so my resources are a bit limited:

    I have a 4GB flash drive that is actually 3.72 GB
    I have a computer next to me with an 80 GB HDD that is actually 74.6GB
    I have a laptop with a 250GB HDD that is actually 232GB
    That desktop next to me has 2GB of RAM (techincally should be 2048 bytes) that is actually 1.99 GB


    At home, I have 2 x 60GB SSD drives in a raid 0 that actually show up as 111.x GB I believe. Now some of all this is firmware and hidden files on the drives that you will not be able to see nor delete because the drives need them to run.
  6. DarkOutlaw said:
    No storage device, including SSD, HHD, USB, RAM, are exactly what they are listed as. It is a guestimated number. Sometimes you get more than the listed amount, normally you get less.

    Edit:

    I am at work so my resources are a bit limited:

    I have a 4GB flash drive that is actually 3.72 GB
    I have a computer next to me with an 80 GB HDD that is actually 74.6GB
    I have a laptop with a 250GB HDD that is actually 232GB
    That desktop next to me has 2GB of RAM (techincally should be 2048 bytes) that is actually 1.99 GB


    At home, I have 2 x 60GB SSD drives in a raid 0 that actually show up as 111.x GB I believe. Now some of all this is firmware and hidden files on the drives that you will not be able to see nor delete because the drives need them to run.


    Not right, that's already accounted for in the Widows report of 119GB.

    but back on the topic of hibernation. On desktop, "Sleep" is by default set to hybrid sleep, which actually is partial hibernation.

    I'm not sure what files get used for that, but that can be your 9gb there to support hybrid sleep
  7. raytseng said:
    Not right, that's already accounted for in the Widows report of 119GB.

    but back on the topic of hibernation. On desktop, "Sleep" is by default set to hybrid sleep, which actually is partial hibernation.

    I'm not sure what files get used for that, but that can be your 9gb there to support hybrid sleep


    Windows just sees the partition that it is created on. If you have unpartitioned space on your hard drive it will not show in windows. Firmware is not installed on your windows partition, it resides in the unpartitioned space of the drive.

    Hybrid Sleep stores stuff on your HDD/SSD and your RAM. (You want to disable this if you have a SSD) But unless your looking at a hard drive that is currently under Hybrid Sleep, there will be no data stored on your hard drive.
  8. DarkOutlaw said:

    Hybrid Sleep stores stuff on your HDD/SSD and your RAM. (You want to disable this if you have a SSD) But unless your looking at a hard drive that is currently under Hybrid Sleep, there will be no data stored on your hard drive.



    I've disabled hybrid sleep and did another search for hiberfil.sys which did not show up and my free space has not changed. Would there be data stored under a different file name? Even if there was, it would still be accounted for when I queried file size for everything on C: from inside explorer right?

    I think I need to look at data consumption not normally reported by Windows, but where to start?


    Also on the matter of disk usage I ran Disk Cleanup on the drive in question and the quoted gain was said to be 1.67 GB but in actuality it was only 0.5 GB.
  9. I do not no about your disk cleanup results, but if you buy 1 million Samsung 830 128 GB SSD you might get one that has exactly 128 GB
  10. Actually there wouldn't be 1 because the manufacturer takes 1000b instead of 1024b as a kilobit.

    That is what cause the discrepancy between the actual size and the advertised size.

    At PO, so where is your pagefile?

    Also, try WinDirStat to see if you can find your "lost" space.
  11. agree with the above, run windirstat and correlate it with the windows file. It will find you the missing files. Likely hibernate or pagefile again but just super hidden or not yet deleted.

    http://windirstat.info/download.html

    In your folder options you cleared the checkbox for "Hide protected operating system files right" and selected "show hidden files"?

    You should see folders for $RecycleBin and Recovery and System Volume Information.
  12. Can't disable system restore in my 256 Crucial m4. After checking windows index score, there is no button for configure only create on the system protection page. I manage to reduce the size to 3gb instead of the 30gb allocated by windows vista and save more than 20+ gb.
    How will i disable system restore?
  13. to learn how to disable system restore. Press F1. then in the help search window type in system restore. There will be a link there that guides you on how to disable it or set the size.
  14. i know how to disable system restore when the configure button was there. but the button is not there only the create button. so, is there any other way to disable this like in the command prompt perhaps?
    I also lost the de fragmentation option to disable after checking windows index score but got it disabled in regedit.
  15. $TOPS is a transactional file that can get bloated. Have you reset that? Steps on how to reset it on the next reboot are at http://nerdsknowbest.blogspot.com/2013/01/phantom-space-used-in-windows-7-windows.html along with how to see how much shadow storage you are using and how to limit the space it uses.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Storage