Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Power supply for ga-M68M-S2P

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2011 8:10:27 PM

what wattage should I get for the PSU for this motherboard? :bounce: 

More about : power supply m68m s2p

a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2011 8:25:57 PM

Motherboards use next to no power. What is your full specification and budget? Which country are you living in and what are your preferences?
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2011 8:49:41 PM

omnisome said:
Motherboards use next to no power. What is your full specification and budget? Which country are you living in and what are your preferences?


I live in the UK, and wish to buy from www.amazon.co.uk

all the following products are available at www.amazon.co.uk,


I was thinking of getting 65W Amd Phenom II X4 910e/2.6GHz AM3 L3 6MB,

8G Kingston memory: kvr1066d3n7k2 8G

Hitachi Hds721010cla332 3.5inch 1tb 32mb Sata 7200rpm Hard Disk Drive

possibly later a BD rewriter, perhaps: LG BH10LS30.AUAR10B 10x Internal Blu-Ray BDRW Retail Kit

Transcend PCI Express Interface USB 3.0 Dual Expansion Card

various existing USB Hard drives with their own power, and a USB Iomega 250G which
draws power from the USB,


beyond that a PCI express gfx card, but I havent researched that yet,
I usually go for end of season bargain gfx cards


also I NEVER overclock computers as I think they are fast enough!

I have some further questions also, with the above selection will the USB3 be at full speed?


actually I have a gold 550W PSU I bought probably around 2004, item 13492 from www.qtec.info but I dont know if I should risk using that,
it says "suitable for ATX systems and Pentium 4"

one other thing, will the tower case:

Apevia Infinity Silver Gaming Midi Pc Case 420W

from www.amazon.co.uk support micro ATX? and of course is the supplied PSU sufficient?

:D 

one further question, will the above memory with the above motherboard be dual channel?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2011 9:01:17 PM

Quote:
I live in the UK, and wish to buy from www.amazon.co.uk

Scan.co.uk
cclonline.com
ebuyer.com (The British Newegg equivalent)
play.com

These are some better options

Quote:
I was thinking of getting 65W Amd Phenom II X4 910e/2.6GHz AM3 L3 6MB

Good choice, fair processor. What do you use the computer for? Gaming? Business? etc..

Quote:
Hitachi Hds721010cla332 3.5inch 1tb 32mb Sata 7200rpm Hard Disk Drive

I wouldn't personally recommend Hitachi, I've had a bad experience with their drives failing. Have a look at Samsung and Western-Digital.

Quote:
beyond that a PCI express gfx card, but I havent researched that yet,
I usually go for end of season bargain gfx cards

What resolution are you running at? And when do you, if you do, intend to upgrade?


Quote:
actually I have a gold 550W PSU I bought probably around 2004, item 13492 from www.qtec.info but I dont know if I should risk using that,
it says "suitable for ATX systems and Pentium 4"

2004 - That's 7 years old. I wouldn't recommend it.
QTEC - Bottom of the totem-pole, worst-brand-ever! Cheap and unstable PSUs
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2011 9:36:10 PM

omnisome said:
Scan.co.uk
cclonline.com
ebuyer.com (The British Newegg equivalent)
play.com

These are some better options


it needs to be amazon even if other places are cheaper or better!

Quote:

Good choice, fair processor. What do you use the computer for? Gaming? Business? etc..


I wanted a higher Phenom II X4 but the higher ones at amazon are 125W which are incompatible, also I thought a low wattage CPU would be good to keep the electricity costs and
heat down!

I decided I wanted a quad core with L3 cache, and 120 quid is about the maximum cost,
the above was the best I could find on www.amazon.co.uk


I dont use the computer for gaming, the usage is relatively undemanding, but I do watch DVD films and eventually will probably watch blueray films, but I'll wait for blueray film prices to come down a lot further. But it should be this same computer, thus I want to buy components which will be current say in 5 years time.

I wanted PS/2 mouse and keyboard connectors also, not all motherboards have those.



Quote:

I wouldn't personally recommend Hitachi, I've had a bad experience with their drives failing. Have a look at Samsung and Western-Digital.


ok, I'll have a study of those. Actually I prefer the system drive to be lower capacity eg 120G as I try to keep data on external USB drives in order to access the data from my laptop. But as the 1tb drive was just 10 quid more than 500G I thought I'd go for that.

Ideally I would like to keep all data in the future on USB3 drives, huge capacity drives are mainly for backups, but I like to backup my laptop also, thus USB2 and USB3 are useful.

Quote:

What resolution are you running at? And when do you, if you do, intend to upgrade?


I use HD res with an LG Flatron W2253TQ, not keen on this monitor as the touch controls are impossible, but it was the only affordable one I could find which was digital, full HD, tiltable and silent. There was a Packard Bell which had very noisy inbuilt transformer, the Samsung wasnt tiltable, and all the other affordable ones were either not digital or not HD. At that time it wasnt constrained to amazon, and I prefer to buy monitors on the high street, at PC World and Comet
the above LG was the only TFT which met all the criteria. I probably should have got the nontiltable Samsung as it was otherwise ideal.

I'm intending to buy the above components other than the Blueray either today or tomorrow!

I'll probably delay the blueray as the prices should keep coming down,

probably I wont get further SATA drives but will use USB3, the USB3 criteria is more important to me. To backup a 120G drive takes many hours, thus the USB3 speeds should speed things up.


Quote:

2004 - That's 7 years old. I wouldn't recommend it.
QTEC - Bottom of the totem-pole, worst-brand-ever! Cheap and unstable PSUs
[/quotemsg]

ok, I wont use that!

what do you think of the

CIT 550W Gold 12Cm Silent Atx Power Supply

from amazon?

but maybe I should go for 400W or lower, I've no idea about the power requirements.


or any other recommendations from www.amazon.co.uk, it needs to be from this URL even if its cheaper elsewhere!


I'm more interested in sophisticated functionality than speeds as such, eg quad core, L3 cache, 8G, USB3. Low wattage also interests me, but I want higher speeds for the USB3
as I prefer to do sectorwise backups of entire drives or volumes, and these can take a long time. The graphics side just needs to be reasonable, I'm more interested in the cost being say 50 quid: in the past I've bought gfx cards from bargains at places like Maplins high street store. I dont want to pay 120 quid or something for a gfx card, I prefer to get end of season bargains for that.

the inbuilt graphics tends to be unacceptably bad!

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2011 10:19:56 PM

omnisome said:


I wouldn't personally recommend Hitachi, I've had a bad experience with their drives failing. Have a look at Samsung and Western-Digital.


what do you think of:

Western Digital Caviar Blue 250 Gb 7200 Rpm Sata-ii Internal Hard Drive

I like to do sectorwise backups especially of the C: drive as that is preferable to reinstalling Windows especially if there are lots of programs installed.

thus a 250G drive is probably better, I also like to install Linux to the system drive,

say 10G for Ubuntu, and 4G for the VM volume.




the idea is to backup the 250G to say a 1TB USB3 drive, enough space to backup
the laptop drive and other drives. Then to buy a second 1TB USB3 drive to backup the other 1TB drive.



the WDs seem to be more expensive, but maybe its because they are better? :pt1cable: 


!