Phenom II X4 955 black cooler is TOO LOUD!

TheSnappy

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Hey guys, I bought this Phenom II X4 955 black edition processor for my new system I built. The problem is the cooling fan on this thing is LOUD. I seriously cant even hear whats going on in starcraft 2 over the sound of this thing, it sounds like there is a damn f-16 fighter jet in my house.

So, my question is, how can I fix this? Is there some after market cooling system that could keep my cpu cool, while also being quiet?

Any help is appreciated!

needsumhelplol

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
''So, my question is, how can I fix this? Is there some after market cooling system that could keep my cpu cool, while also being quiet?''

First, Check your BIOS settings to make sure there isn't any options in there you could mess with to take the fan speed down a notch or two

Second, i would look at the CPU voltage and consider dropping it 0.05% at a time until it is unstable under load, then bring it back up to a stable point and leave it there.. my 955 x4 defaults to 1.350v on full load and even used to read higher sometimes in BIOS... however it is perfectly stable at 1.300 (YMMV)

Third, if it's still loud i would ditch the PITA cooler that AMD consider adequate for this CPU, buy a CM 212+ and ne'er look back

TheSnappy

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
I already checked the bios and there are no options for fan speed and my case is REALLY well ventilated (part of the reason this is so loud cause there is nothing really blocking the noise).

The Cooler Master 212 plus is looking nice. How quiet is it?

needsumhelplol

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
I don't know if it will or not tbh.. it doesn't leave much room (maybe 2-3 cm) in my CoolerMaster RC690, which iirc is slightly deeper than the M59

The way to find out would be to get a tape measure and place it against the face of the processor itself with current fan removed, then measure the distance to the side of the case.

If I'm doing this I put a thin piece of insulating tape over the metal tang of the tape measure if applicable so there's no metal on metal contact (although this is pretty damn unnecessary.. i just like to be paranoid)

The 212+ needs 158.5mm so that's what you're looking for.

TheSnappy

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Everybody online was sold out of the 212 plus, so I went to Frys and got the coolermaster tx3. It seems to be working good enough although its not as quiet as it claims or as I want it to be. Any more suggestions?