Solved

$850 gaming upgrade

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: over next couple months

BUDGET RANGE: $850

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, internet, movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, HDD, Case, CD Drive

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: I am not too picky, I seem to prefer MSI, Gigabyte, and ASUS for Mobo

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am looking to upgrade from a Pent D E2180, 4 GB DDR2 Ram, a slightly defective Mobo, and a HD 4850 to a faster PC that can play about anything. I may upgrade monitor in a couple years, by that time I hope to do a whole new upgrade again.

First build I want to ask about is AM3 PII x4 SLI build.

This build to me seems more future proof, but also I would have to save alot of money at first to get Mobo, CPU, HSF, and RAM

Second build is same except a 5850 instead of SLI

Third Build is based around my current S775. I could upgrade one piece at a time, starting with Mobo. I like this one cause Its the same one I have and its great. only problem i my RAM goes bad every 6 months. But I like the Board in general. Also I have 4GB of Corsair/Kingston Ram so I could use same CPU and RAM till I get money for upgrade. Also Its an SLI.

The only problem I see with this build is I will need a big upgrade again down the road, whereas the AM3 not as much. But this one works easier and saves my RAM.

Forth and final build is S775 but with a 5850

Give me your advice, comments, Im all ears and willing to learn. Try to keep it around $850.00 or less thanks :)
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming upgrade
  1. bump
  2. Best answer
    Go with 5850. It's better go with 1 powerful card. Also, an 870 mobo is horrible for crossfiring, since it's 16x/4x. I would replace the mobo with a Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4. Better mobo imo. Also, if you can, upgrade the CPU up to a 955 if you have the extra $20. You can drop the 5850 to a Gigabyte 5850, which is only $300, which will give you and extra $50 to upgrade to a 955.

I wouldn't recommend the 775 build. The sockets dead. But there are still a lot of people that use it, and it's not bad.

As for the pictures, you put the same picture up for the 1st and 2nd one.
  3. Ok, thanks :) Ill look at the pic and try and change it lol
  4. Ok so this seems a bit better. Thanks man :)

5. Best answer selected by Palurien.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems