Last response: in Systems
May 29, 2010 6:21:35 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: over next couple months

BUDGET RANGE: $850

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, internet, movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, HDD, Case, CD Drive

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: I am not too picky, I seem to prefer MSI, Gigabyte, and ASUS for Mobo

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am looking to upgrade from a Pent D E2180, 4 GB DDR2 Ram, a slightly defective Mobo, and a HD 4850 to a faster PC that can play about anything. I may upgrade monitor in a couple years, by that time I hope to do a whole new upgrade again.

First build I want to ask about is AM3 PII x4 SLI build.

This build to me seems more future proof, but also I would have to save alot of money at first to get Mobo, CPU, HSF, and RAM

Second build is same except a 5850 instead of SLI

Third Build is based around my current S775. I could upgrade one piece at a time, starting with Mobo. I like this one cause Its the same one I have and its great. only problem i my RAM goes bad every 6 months. But I like the Board in general. Also I have 4GB of Corsair/Kingston Ram so I could use same CPU and RAM till I get money for upgrade. Also Its an SLI.

The only problem I see with this build is I will need a big upgrade again down the road, whereas the AM3 not as much. But this one works easier and saves my RAM.

Forth and final build is S775 but with a 5850

Give me your advice, comments, Im all ears and willing to learn. Try to keep it around $850.00 or less thanks :) 

More about : 850 gaming upgrade

Best solution

May 29, 2010 3:57:33 PM

Go with 5850. It's better go with 1 powerful card. Also, an 870 mobo is horrible for crossfiring, since it's 16x/4x. I would replace the mobo with a Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4. Better mobo imo. Also, if you can, upgrade the CPU up to a 955 if you have the extra $20. You can drop the 5850 to a Gigabyte 5850, which is only $300, which will give you and extra $50 to upgrade to a 955.

I wouldn't recommend the 775 build. The sockets dead. But there are still a lot of people that use it, and it's not bad.

As for the pictures, you put the same picture up for the 1st and 2nd one.
Related resources
May 29, 2010 4:11:42 PM

Ok, thanks :)  Ill look at the pic and try and change it lol
May 29, 2010 4:36:14 PM

Ok so this seems a bit better. Thanks man :) 

May 29, 2010 4:37:42 PM

Best answer selected by Palurien.
!