Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How do you find a compatible replacement board for your HDD?

Last response: in Storage
July 17, 2012 12:36:40 AM

I was just curious as to if there's an easy way to find compatible boards for hard drives so I can refurbish some. I know that if I swipe a board from the exact same model hard drive as the one I'm replacing the board on, I'll be good to go, but I was wondering if as long as I have the proper specs for the hard drive, would the connection from the board to the rest of the drive be the same, and if so, would it work if I swapped one with similar specs?
July 17, 2012 1:05:36 AM

i doubt you could get them direct from the company. i figure the only way to get them would be to try websites like ebay. some people on ebay may sell hard drives for parts
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
July 17, 2012 1:06:25 AM

Yes it is possible as you suggest. but the replacement boards are expensive, often more expensive than buying a new hard drive of simmular size / spec. Its only really done if you need the data from the dead drive.
Related resources
July 17, 2012 1:10:24 AM

That's what I was thinking you'd say. I was looking on eBay and often times it costs as much for a new board as for a new drive. It was worth a shot to ask at least. Thanks. =)
m
l
July 23, 2012 11:59:09 PM

Best answer selected by LightworkerNaven.
m
l
!