Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ESata problem on my new GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 board.

Last response: in Motherboards
February 18, 2011 9:57:21 PM

Hi all,

Just finished building my new system and (no doubt because of my ignorance of most things eSata) I can't seem to get my external drive recognised off the back panel eSATA/USB combo connector.

Here's my setup:

GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 board
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Thermaltake BlacX Duet eSata Dock
WD 500g Sata HD in dock above.

Bios settings:
eSATA controller [Enabled]
eSATA Controller Mode [ACHI]

What am I missing... ?

More about : esata problem x58a ud3r rev2 board

a c 236 V Motherboard
February 19, 2011 12:25:54 AM

Your eSATA device does have power correct?

You have the controller set right to AHCI, so it'll support hot swap drives need to for eSATA to work without it being installed prior to booting.
m
l
February 19, 2011 1:57:04 AM

tecmo34 said:
Your eSATA device does have power correct?

You have the controller set right to AHCI, so it'll support hot swap drives need to for eSATA to work without it being installed prior to booting.

Hi tecmo34... Yea, my external Thermaltake BlacX Duet eSata Dock is powered and I can hear the drive spinning-up.
m
l
Related resources
a c 236 V Motherboard
February 19, 2011 2:05:04 AM

Have you went into the Disk Management section to see if it is showing up there but doesn't have a letter assigned to it??
m
l
February 19, 2011 2:43:34 AM

tecmo34 said:
Have you went into the Disk Management section to see if it is showing up there but doesn't have a letter assigned to it??

Yep, did that straight-away... Win7 doesn't see it.
m
l
a c 236 V Motherboard
February 19, 2011 2:46:10 AM

Have you tried it by the USB port?
m
l
February 19, 2011 2:55:02 AM

-make sure your computer is off
-Plug you dock with hdd already in, into the esata port
-turn power on dock
-turn on your computer.
Windows should recognize it after startup

m
l
a c 199 V Motherboard
February 19, 2011 3:20:05 AM

Did you load the drivers for the eSATA ports and/or the USB? I know the BlacX does not need any drivers. Windows should recognize it.
m
l
February 19, 2011 5:51:38 AM

tecmo34 said:
Have you tried it by the USB port?

Good question, but yes - I did and it see's it fine.
m
l
February 19, 2011 5:53:29 AM

1tym said:
-make sure your computer is off
-Plug you dock with hdd already in, into the esata port
-turn power on dock
-turn on your computer.
Windows should recognize it after startup

Proper sequence, but alas - that's how I always deal with external HD's, and Win7 doesn't see it (Disk mgmt doesn't see it at all).
m
l
February 19, 2011 5:55:41 AM

spooky2th said:
Did you load the drivers for the eSATA ports and/or the USB? I know the BlacX does not need any drivers. Windows should recognize it.

Very good question, but I've explored the CD that Gigabyte shipped with this MB and can't find any JMicron eSATA drivers. And I'm starting to think that this is the problem. IF the JMicron eSATA drivers are needed for eSATA to work on this MB, then why can't I find them on the Gigabyte CD?
m
l
February 20, 2011 9:09:11 PM

Could someone tell me where on the Gigabyte CD for this board I might find the JMicron drivers?
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 21, 2011 11:27:12 AM

To my understanding they are combined with the GSATA:
{DVD}:\BootDrv\GSATA

Reading above it seems more like a registry failure/issue; so try IDE:
eSATA Controller Mode [IDE]

Open the Device Manager to see if there are any {! or ?} devices listed, and if so please post here.
m
l
February 21, 2011 4:56:20 PM

jaquith said:
To my understanding they are combined with the GSATA:
{DVD}:\BootDrv\GSATA

Reading above it seems more like a registry failure/issue; so try IDE:
eSATA Controller Mode [IDE]

Open the Device Manager to see if there are any {! or ?} devices listed, and if so please post here.

Hi jaquith and thx for responding. I had already tried the eSATA set to IDE, and the drive wasn't seen. And the JMicron drivers are not combined with GSATA drivers on the CD, in fact, after browsing the CD at length I couldn't find the JMicron eSATA drivers at all - period. This REALLY suprised me since eSATA use is becomming much more common today, not to mention that the board has 2 eSATA built in connectors and the JMicron controllers. I did, however, manage to get the eSATA working as it should yesturday - by downloading the JMicron drivers from their site in TW. After installing (what should be an option on the Gigabyte CD) the Win7 64bit drivers, the external ThermalTake hub and the 500Gb drive I put in it worked exactly as they should. I was able to "hot swap" drives, use Win7's Manage/Disk Mgr to partition/format and all is good. After installing the drivers, Device Mgr now lists Storage controllers with the JMicron JMB36X Controller.

Sooo, all is good. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.
m
l

Best solution

a c 717 V Motherboard
February 21, 2011 6:37:44 PM

From the manual pg 104; clearly indicates they're combined - therefore 'my understanding'.
For the JMicron JMB362/GIGABYTE SATA2, type (Figure 2): (Note 1)
A:\>copy d:\bootdrv\gsata\32bit\*.*
ref http://www.jmicron.com/Product_JMB362.htm

I have that DVD and looked at the manual.

Yes, I almost linked the OEM, but it scares most people -> ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/SATA_Controller/Windows/
February 28, 2011 4:54:55 PM

Best answer selected by grindy.
m
l
!