Sign in with
Your question

Need help diagnosing possible faulty PSU

Last response: in Systems
May 29, 2010 7:27:20 AM

Hi everyone! I've been browsing this wonderful forum for a while and it's about time I posted.

So I'm building my first system with the following components -

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 Mobo
Intel i7-980x Processor
GeForce GTX-470 GPU
12GB Kingston DDR3 SDRAM
Rosewill RX950-S-B 950W PSU

After everything was assembled the system boot up fine the first time. I shut it down and tried the power switch again and a split second after the power came on the outlet blew and the system shut down. I stupidly tried it again on a self-resetting outlet and the system booted fine and I was able to enter the BIOS, start installing Windows 7, etc. It blew the breaker again on another boot and I decided not to play with it anymore. I called Rosewill tech support and they told me that perhaps my GPU needed a PSU with a higher 12V amperage in order to run it. I'm far from being an expert, but that sounds like a load of BS to me. The card requires a 650W minimum PSU and this one is rated at 950W.

Does this sound like a PSU issue and does the fact that I was able to access the system BIOS and start installing an OS mean that my MOBO/Processor are still intact?

Thanks for your help!

More about : diagnosing faulty psu

May 29, 2010 2:57:00 PM

29 % of the reviews on Newegg rated this PSU as poor or worse. I would seriously consider replacing it with a PSU of known good quality. (Corsair, PCP&C, Antec, Seasonic) If your MB/Processor were bad, then you wouldn't be able to get into the BIOS at all.
m
l
May 29, 2010 4:40:42 PM

Good to know. Thanks for the reply clarkjd.

Someone recommended THIS PSU as a replacement. Should that be enough juice for me?
m
l
Related resources
June 1, 2010 4:36:06 AM

Someone also recommended the 750HX. I'm not sure of the difference between the two (except the price). Would either of them have enough power for all of the above components plus five 3.5" internal drives (I think they're running at 7200 RPM).
m
l
June 1, 2010 7:40:09 PM

I don't think that you would have a problem with either PSU. The 750HX has two more amps on the 12V rail than the 750TX, but I don't know if that is worth an extra $30.
m
l
!