Your question

HDD causes Windows to stall on startup

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Computer
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
July 17, 2012 2:09:22 AM

So here's the setup, I have a homebuilt computer that I've been running for about 8 months with no issues. Last night I left the computer on overnight downloading several new games from Steam. When I got up this morning my computer was frozen on my screensaver. I powered off and then the computer wouldn't restart, was giving me an error immediately after BIOS. After some researching it appeared the issue was the HDD. First I attempted to use my install disk to enter repair mode, but when booting from the disc drive the windows logo would come up and then go to a black screen with a mouse pointer. Next, I booted with an Ubuntu live disk, I was able to see both HDDs, could access files on my secondary HDD but not the primary, which gave me errors when I attempted to mount it. I then unplugged my primary drive, and was able to boot from my install disk, so I installed Windows 7 to my secondary HDD. I completed setup, shutdown, reconnected the primary HDD, set boot order to boot from secondary drive, but the startup made it to the starting windows logo and then sits there (not frozen, the logo keeps moving) for over an hour (thats as long as I gave it, I never got past there). I'm assuming that the HDD is a write off at this point, but I'm really hoping to get into it to recover a few things that aren't backed up elsewhere, but I'm at a loss. Obviously if I could get the HDD running again that would be even better.
System stats:
Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 1100T 3.30 GHz
MOBO: Gigabyte M68MT-S2P
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6800
HDDs: Primary: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB SATA
Secondary: WD 320 GB SATA

Thank you for any help.

More about : hdd windows stall startup

a b G Storage
July 17, 2012 2:26:20 AM

Have you tried entering safe mode with the original system drive? Does it get that far after POST.
m
l