Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading a Dell Dimension 5150C

Last response: in Systems
May 29, 2010 10:43:16 AM

I have a Dell Dimension 5150C and I basically use it to play WoW. I know it's time to get a new PC but I'll have to wait a few more months to save up some cash. I'm planning on upgrading the GPU and RAM and I'm having troubles finding the right parts.

Here are the some specs of the Dell 5150C:

CPU: Intel Pentium D 820
PSU: 275 watt
RAM: 1024MB 266MHz DDR2 Dual Channel
GPU: 128 MB ATI RADEON X600 SE
Monitor: Dell 17" 1280 x 1024 monitor

Currently the PC will wow just fine at the lowest settings around 30 fps , but struggles at some places in game, especially in raids dropping to around 10 fps. I've been shopping around for a graphics card that would fit the case, run under 275 watts and also run the game fine at somewhere around low-mid settings just fine.

Here's what i found so far.
GPU: Sapphire 4650 Low Profile Ready Video Card I've entered in the PC's spec to a power supply calculator and it recommended a 274 watt PSU...but the GPU's box says it need's a 400 watt PSU...so im a little bit confused here. Only low profile cards would fit in the case.

RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 2GB adding another gig of ram would be nice.

So this is pretty much what I came up with so far... if 4650 will now run on the rig, I don't mind downgrading the card as long as it will run the game just fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance.
May 29, 2010 10:54:19 PM

In the power draw chart... are those numbers the total power draw of the whole PC at peak load or just the GPU alone?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 30, 2010 3:04:53 AM

GPU alone ^^
m
l
!