Sign in with
Your question

SPARKS!?!?! - ASRock Extreme 3

Last response: in Motherboards
February 19, 2011 6:53:03 AM

Well $870 worth of Newegg goodness came in the mail today. This is my first build and I was hoping all would go well. Current parts include:
ASRock Extreme3 870 (probably toast now...)
G.Skill Ripsaw 2 x 2gb
AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition
Samsung F3 1 TB HDD
OCZ 64 Gb SDD
XFX 650W PSU
XFX 6870 Black Edition GPU
Rosewill Challenger Case

I got everything all set up and turned it on, fingers crossed. To my dismay there were no beeps or anything and it booted right into BIOS. I was happily dancing around my room until I heard a small crackle (spark?). I immediately shut everything off and unplugged, checking for any place of possible damage. Was it my imagination? I couldn't find anything and who knows maybe I'm just going crazy. So I plug it back in and hit the power switch and there it is. As it powers on, a spark flies out from about a quarter inch up and left of the PWRBTN (powerbutton?) on the bottom right corner of the mobo. I immediately power off and start searching the internet for any info I can find. There is a noticeable spot where the spark came from. I double checked everything I plugged in and cannot find the issue for the life of me. I pulled the mobo out and checked for any grounding issues in the mounting but everything seemed fine as well. It is probably dead, but I'm hoping I didn't ruin anything else. If anyone has any ideas or input I would love to hear it. This being my first build it is very discouraging. Its now closing in on 4am here in NY so I guess I should head to bed.
Thanks for any help or ideas you may have.

eta: 650W PSU, not 550W

More about : sparks asrock extreme

February 19, 2011 8:47:09 AM

It's really hard to say exactly what the cause may have been, but regardless if the board is toast or not, I would strongly consider RMA'ing the board. Your components may not have been compatible/ sufficient when in tangem.

Any way to post a picture of the location where the sparks flew?
m
l
February 19, 2011 1:03:11 PM

This is where the sparks came from (quick photoshop)

m
l
Related resources
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 19, 2011 1:33:10 PM

Yeah, your MOBO is toast :( 

More than likely it's caused from either a misplaced standoff or a short from the standoff; low possibly a bad MOBO. There's a possibility that your PSU is also toast. A 550W is borderline sized per your specs. To OC you'd need a 650W and to CF 950W.

I use, some consider overkill, plastic washers 0.5~1mm thick over my standoffs secured with a dab of silicone to hold then in place.
Case | Standoff | {silicone} + Washer | MOBO | Washer | Screw

Never had a short ;) 

edit: also you don't want the CPU Fan mounting plate, if metal, having metal-to-MOBO contact; use the same plastic washers or a plastic {non-conductive} mounting plate.
m
l
February 19, 2011 1:39:06 PM

I checked my standoffs when I took the board out and the only ones that were installed into the case were the ones in use by the mobo. Is it possible to have a short from one that is properly installed? I got my PSU/GPU in a combo, so I guess I will have to send that back in order to switch it out. Also, I'm still not sure what I did wrong. Is there anyway to get a new mobo without paying out of pocket or is this most likely my doing? Are my other components still OK?
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 19, 2011 1:51:38 PM

Q - What CPU Fan are you using?

I added the 'edit' above regarding 'mounting plates'. Your PSU could the 'root' cause and created the problem. A bad PSU can take-out anything it's connected to, and if it's shorted it could have caused this.

My take: 1. Short or 2. Bad PSU.

A 550W is able to power what you listed, it's as I said borderline. Try any PSU sizer and input your components. If the 'sizer' doesn't add +30% then multiply by 1.3.
m
l
February 19, 2011 1:54:59 PM

I had a typo before, my PSU is an XFX|P1-650X-CAG9 650W. The CPU fan is the one that came with the AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE. The mobo mounting plate is entirely blue plastic
m
l
February 20, 2011 6:36:23 AM

Are any of the wires to the white connector (system panel header) pinched or shorted to the chassis?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2011 2:47:55 PM

Quote:
To OC you'd need a 650W and to CF 950W.

ROFL

Not even close.

550w for single 6870 (with overclock), 650w for Xfire 6870 (with overclock).

That's being generous.

m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 20, 2011 3:58:47 PM

geekapproved said:
Quote:
To OC you'd need a 650W and to CF 950W.

ROFL

Not even close.

550w for single 6870 (with overclock), 650w for Xfire 6870 (with overclock).

That's being generous.

^ROFL you! :lol:  - size them, and size them OC, the 550W is the minimum size non-OC. OC both the CPU & 2X HD 6870 GPUs in Crossfire then what I said is CORRECT!

Don't post your stuff unless you check, especially when taking a smirky crack at me.

Problem, if you under-size it costs you performance. I just did a post a couple days ago on this exact subject where the OP replaced their PSU and 'magically' gained 30%+ frame-rates.
m
l
February 20, 2011 5:30:50 PM

wwe432 said:
Are any of the wires to the white connector (system panel header) pinched or shorted to the chassis?

There are no pinched or exposed wires anywhere that I can tell
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 21, 2011 12:30:28 AM

jaquith said:
^ROFL you! :lol:  - size them, and size them OC, the 550W is the minimum size non-OC. OC both the CPU & 2X HD 6870 GPUs in Crossfire then what I said is CORRECT!

Don't post your stuff unless you check, especially when taking a smirky crack at me.

Problem, if you under-size it costs you performance. I just did a post a couple days ago on this exact subject where the OP replaced their PSU and 'magically' gained 30%+ frame-rates.

All the manufacturers specifications listed on newegg recommend 500w for 1 card, 600w for 2 cards. Overclocked ads less than 50w per card.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3603/his_radeon_hd_687...

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-cross...

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1445/17/

All three of these reviews show total SYSTEM power consumption under full load around 420-450w. I see nowhere the poster mentioning that he's overclocking his cpu, or even his video cards for that matter. Even so, add 50w per gpu and 50w for cpu = 150w. Your looking at 600w draw MAX, and I think it would be less than that. So for that I would recommend a 650w MAYBE a 750w.

Not 950w, lol.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/294091-28-corsair-hx6...

2 different forum "veterans" told this guy that a 650w is plenty for his overclocked 955 and 6870's. Tell them about your 30fps magic. lol

m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 21, 2011 11:46:35 AM

^They are WRONG!

Input: Processor = AMD Phenom II x4 ; Graphic Card = AMD/Radeon 6800 series edit: Number of Cards = 2 ; Number of Drives = 3 ; check [X] Overclock CPU & [X] Overclock Video Card.
Corsair http://www.corsair.com/learn_n_explore/

Corsair already factors in capacitor aging, or Requirement X 1.30 {+30%}. In addition, I prefer to run my rigs' PSU at 50%. The lower the above capacity the 'shorter' the PSU longevity. In this case I added nothing, Corsair popped-out 950W OC + CF.

SIMPLIFIED - YOU NEVER MAX-OUT YOUR PSU UNLESS YOU WANT IT TO LAST A YEAR OR LESS.

Now you've got 1 of 4 Gold MOBO/RAM + Addicts telling you what you've got is wrong!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 21, 2011 12:10:09 PM

So all 3 sites and 2 forum veterans are ALL wrong?

Even Tom's efficiency charts show Crossfire 6870's with a X6 @4ghz and 16gb of ram uses a max draw at the wall of 456w.

A 650w psu would not be maxed out.

Quality psu's have a 3-7 yr warranty, so if it dies in a year, you get a new one for free.

Ok, I'll stop making you look bad now, your doing a good job by yourself.

Done with this thread, not going to argue with someone who has no idea what they are talking about.

950w psu. LOOOL Thanks for the good laughs.

m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 21, 2011 1:34:37 PM

Running a PSU that's being constantly peaked-out is a bad idea, doesn't matter if it's under warranty you don't want to risk damaging or losing performance of your system.

Stock CF HD 6870 peak is 449W, next add OC of the GPU which will add 150W~200W at peak. You've got 550W~650W @ peak OC GPU just for the GPUs alone. The remainder of the system with AMD Phenom II x4 955 OC will require 300W~400W. Add them up and you're looking at 850W~1000W. If I never was to OC either the CPU or CF GPU then 750W would be the absolute minimum.

PROBLEM - unless you have the overhead @ peak you will get GPU Stuttering. Example -> http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26... {see SoulsCollective}. Google PSU +stuttering

I'm done with this disagreement - do it your way for your own rig.
{removed the page long image.} http://www.ozone3d.net/public/bigpictures/201101/gfxpow...
m
l
February 21, 2011 6:18:19 PM

I was looking at the picture of your motherboard more closely. The white connector (1394 header) has ground on the upper right as shown in the photo and +12V on the pin just to the left. If those two got shorted, that would cause sparks and possible damage to the motherboard.
m
l
February 22, 2011 3:15:22 AM

wwe432 said:
I was looking at the picture of your motherboard more closely. The white connector (1394 header) has ground on the upper right as shown in the photo and +12V on the pin just to the left. If those two got shorted, that would cause sparks and possible damage to the motherboard.

First of all, thank you for responding to my question and not partaking in the argument that has ensued. The mobo was RMA-ed back to newegg this afternoon, as there was really nothing I could do with it. Do you think this is something I could have caused, or would it be a mfg. defect? This being my first build, I am nervous to re-assemble everything in fear of having something go wrong again.
Thanks
Synkid
m
l
February 22, 2011 4:31:42 AM

Check the cable going to that white connector that was burned. A short there or anywhere in the cable or the connectors at the other end could cause the problem. Be sure they are okay before you plug that cable into another motherboard! It's the IEEE 1394 high speed data connector. If you don't need that connection, don't plug the cable in there. (In case there's a defect in the cable)
m
l
February 22, 2011 2:29:54 PM

My rosewill challenger case has 1 SATA, 2 USB, and 2 Audio ports on the front panel. Would my case even require I plug something into this port? I don't remember if I plugged anything in there or not.
m
l
February 22, 2011 5:29:02 PM

The front panel connectors are for convenience. If you don't need them then you don't need to connect them to your motherboard. Try running your new motherboard without connecting them. If there are no sparks then suspect a problem with the front panel connectors or cables. (I hate the sound of a loud pop and the smell of smoke in a new computer build!)
m
l
February 23, 2011 3:06:50 AM

If, in my ignorance in the field of computers, I plugged the USB cable from my case into the IEEE 1394 connector on my mobo (which I don't think I did, but very well could have), could that have caused the spark?
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 23, 2011 12:21:11 PM

The picture that would rule-out a standoff is an image from the back side of the MOBO, it seems very coincidental that the short is mm's from the standoff.

The best thing you can do is to build and test the MOBO, CPU, GPU, RAM, PSU, HDD/SSD -> on a 'bench' e.g. a piece of cardboard. Every complex build I do is always outside of the case. I benchmark & test the components prior to their final assembly, and if I find a 'bad' component at that point it's easy to replace.

If a component has a built-in 'short' then there's nothing you can do to stop it. Careful wiring and installation is the only 'human' variable. If you're are paranoid then power the MOBO with nothing installed, test, add components one at a time.

The washers and metal to MOBO prevention {e.g. rear CPU Fan mount} are the 'best practices' to avoid a short.

Good Luck! :) 
m
l
February 24, 2011 11:34:23 AM

There was nothing plugged into the front panels. The only things plugged in on initial boot were my monitor (into graphics card), mouse and keyboard (into mobo USB ports) and a single speaker (into a mobo audio port).
m
l
!