Solved

Need to transfer important info from ASUS laptop to macbook

Dear Community,

Today, my ASUS laptop crashed- it either was motherboard malfunction, or power malfunction, don't know the reason exactly but I decided to get a macbook pro instead.

I have important files, pictures, music, etc in that laptop so I decided to take the SATA hard drive out of the laptop: I opened the laptop up and took the hard drive with all the important info out.

Then, I went to best buy and got a transfer cable. When I plugged into the macbook it only displays the windows files and not my personal files. I plugged into my grandmas computer in which she has a PC, it displays only the system files but not my personal files.

Can you guys kindly give me suggestions in how I can approach this problem? All I need is to save those important files from that hard drive.

Thank you in advance!
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need transfer important info asus laptop macbook
  1. Are you looking in the right place for your files? Seems obvious, but I can't stress how unlikely it is for a drive to fail and only lose you personal data and not the operating system. If it's a Win7 machine look under c:\users rather than c:\documents and settings.
  2. In the hard drive from the laptop that I took and plugged using a USB cable into another computer, the only files that exist there are the system files and a user file.

Under the user file, there is only one file: Public. It should be the user file but it is not there.

I forgot to mentioned that the user account was password protected in windows 7

I would appreciate any other suggestions.
  3. if its a Win 7 security issue than the admin account on the PC you are using the drive in will probably have to take ownership of the drives folder/file structure, if you think that is why you can't see the entire directory structure then you may want to move this question to a windows security forum.

In any event I think your data is there so be careful what you choose to do with that drive.
  4. I think the data is there- I selected all the files in the hard drive and totals up to ~47 GB versus what the 500GB hard drive says that it has been used around 118GB.

I still can't figure it out why it does not display my files.

Thank you for your response,
  5. Best answer
    could be just hidden, on windows 7, did you change the folder option to show hidden file.
  6. Best answer selected by baoc90.
  7. Thank you so much all my files were there, I had to use an old XP computer and show hidden files.

Thank you a lot once again!
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Laptops Asus Storage