Question about upgrading before moving on.

Naturtok

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Hey everyone,

Essentially, my current situation is this. I have a 320 GB WD caviar blue drive that I have been using for the past few months. It has my Windows 7 Ultimate installed on it. Because I was running out of space, I bought and installed a 2 TB Seagate Barracuda high performance (7200rpm, 64 cache, etc).

My final plan is to have my 320 gb drive as an additional drive, where I'll put music, pictures, etc, and my 2 TB drive will have everything else (win 7, games, etc.) due to the higher speeds.

In attempt to work towards this, I have used the software included with the Seagate drive (Seagate Diskwizard) to clone my 320 gb drive onto my 2 tb drive. I have also used the MSI Bios to change the boot order to boot my 2 TB drive before my 320 gb drive. I dunno if it helps, but I felt it would (I know just enough to be dangerous, as you could already probably tell).

I wanted to do a quick check here before I go any further, by cloning my first harddrive onto my second, does it copy the Operating System as well (my Windows 7 Ultimate)?
And if it does, would that allow me to use the same program (Seagate DiskWizard) to wipe my first hard drive clean without any repercussions?

Thanks for any future answers, Currently, the system is working perfectly and it seems the clone worked out. Both harddrives are being recognized and both have the same data on each. There is also a 1 gb "System Reserved" drive between the two on the Computer page. If anyone could offer insight onto that as well, it would be appreciated :)

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Sounds like everything worked fine, I am pretty sure Seagate uses a stripped down version of Acronis for cloning, cloning will of course simply mirror everything freom one drive to another, including the partition structure unless you make changes to clone job. If your PC is a brand name (HP, CPQ, DELL etc) that 1GB reserved partition was either on your other drive already and got copied over (maybe a system restore partition, although it seems small) or it could be a partition created for a multi-boot manager etc. Since it's only 1GB I wouldn't worry about it. Seems like you did everything right.

It sounds like you did it right... and just so you know, windows 7 IS the operating system. Cloning copies all contents of the drive making an exact copy of it, programs and all.

Naturtok

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Kk Thanks :) I went ahead and moved it all over, seems so far it's all workin alright. I'm excited to start downloading all the stuff I got over steam =]

Thanks! -Nat
Btw, I did know win7 was the operating system, I just was placing win7 ultimate in there for specifics and such. I worded it horribly though haha.

Naturtok

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
I actually went right over your response Canadian haha. But I actually built the computer, and it only popped up after I added in the second drive. It is only 1gb so I'll probably heed your advice and not lose sleep on it. Anyways, Thanks to you, too!