Sign in with
Your question

Extra hard drive detected in bios but not 'My Computer'

Last response: in Storage
July 17, 2012 11:56:48 AM

Hi,

I have a custom built PC with a SSD (with windows 7 installed) and a 2TB HDD (without an operating system just used for extra storage).

Windows recently warned about the HDD failing, I sent it back to the manufacturer and they have sent a new one. I've just placed the new one into the computer, connected the two same cables that were connected to the previous hard drive. It's detected in the bios, but it doesn't show up when I open 'My Computer'. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm not especially good with the more technical aspects of the computer so explanations of anything that's more arcane would be great.

Thanks!
a c 354 G Storage
July 17, 2012 12:01:39 PM

You need to go into disk management and initialize the drive. Once it's partitioned, formatted, and has a drive letter, it will appear under my computer.

Right-click "my computer" and select "manage". Click on "disk management" in the left pane. You should see the drive to initialaize.
July 17, 2012 12:13:05 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
You need to go into disk management and initialize the drive. Once it's partitioned, formatted, and has a drive letter, it will appear under my computer.

Right-click "my computer" and select "manage". Click on "disk management" in the left pane. You should see the drive to initialaize.

Thanks very much, I was afraid it was going to be something simple like that that I'd missed. When I opened 'disk management' an option to initialise the drive came up, which I accepted, but nothing happened that I could notice. I restarted the computer and it is still not there in 'My Computer', but it is in disk management and listed as 'Online' but the data storage section has a black bar at the top, is hashed across and listed as 'unallocated'. There is an option in disk management to create a 'New Simple Volume' for the hard drive, is this what I need to do?

Thanks again, much appreciated.
Related resources
a c 354 G Storage
July 17, 2012 12:17:19 PM

It's been a while, lol. try right clicking the drive where it says disk 1 or which ever drive it is. Is initialize an option? If so, choose it. If that option isn't there, then use the create simple volume. You're on the right track. I'm surprised the disk wizard didn't pop up and finish the process.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000
December 31, 2013 5:20:18 AM

Hi I also have the same problem but when I go to format my drive it shows up as uncollated or somthing like that I don't remember
Thanks
!