still picture quality with camcorder

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 12, 2004 3:01:36 PM

I know I'll get better pics. with a digital camera vs. any camcorder. But
pictures will not be my main focus, video will...but on occasion I will be
saving still shots. My question is, would I get better pictures with a
MiniDV or a DVD camcorder? Thanks.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 3:01:37 PM

"cqdx" <mckl@nomailbox.net> wrote in message
> I know I'll get better pics. with a digital camera vs. any camcorder. But
> pictures will not be my main focus, video will...but on occasion I will be
> saving still shots. My question is, would I get better pictures with a
> MiniDV or a DVD camcorder? Thanks.

There is no correlation between still quality, and the device which saves
the image.
The determining factors will be megapixels saved, and other factors like
sensitivity to light, color, etc.

That it records to DVD really only means it records onto different media.
This would be like asking, "Which images will look better...images saved on
my hard-drive, or images saved on a CD?"

You'll have to examine other factors to answer your question.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 7:54:47 PM

Indeed it seems still images recorded to memory card, stick, tape or
dvd should not matter. However if you should ever want to pull stills
out of video: the 16Nov04 issue of PC Magazine compared miniDV with
DVD camcorders, and the miniDV video was much clearer on higher motion
footage. Supposedly due to "DVD camcorders being limited to realtime,
constant bit-rate encoding commonly at 1MB/sec as opposed to 3.6MB/sec
for miniDV".

Also, "the MPEG files produced by DVD camcorders are often
incompatible with many consumer and prosumer editors. Even compatible
editors will likely perform more slowly when editing MPEG2 because it
is more compressed and harder to decompress".

"cqdx" <mckl@nomailbox.net> wrote in message
>I know I'll get better pics. with a digital camera vs. any camcorder.
>But
> pictures will not be my main focus, video will...but on occasion I
> will be
> saving still shots. My question is, would I get better pictures with
> MiniDV or a DVD camcorder? Thanks.

Related resources
December 13, 2004 2:38:05 AM

The image resolution is the same regardless of what you use to store the
image (MiniDV or DVD). Either PAL, NTSC or SECAM depending on your
country. Either way, you are looking at less than 1/2 mega pixel images.

Alternativly, a lot of camcorders have 'still photo' mode built in, but this
is just a digital camera in this mode, not a camcorder.

"cqdx" <mckl@nomailbox.net> wrote in message
> I know I'll get better pics. with a digital camera vs. any camcorder. But
> pictures will not be my main focus, video will...but on occasion I will be
> saving still shots. My question is, would I get better pictures with a
> MiniDV or a DVD camcorder? Thanks.

December 13, 2004 10:21:58 PM

"cqdx" <mckl@nomailbox.net> wrote in

> I know I'll get better pics. with a digital camera vs. any camcorder.
> But pictures will not be my main focus, video will...but on occasion I
> will be saving still shots. My question is, would I get better
> pictures with a MiniDV or a DVD camcorder? Thanks.

Look for the resolution specs. My Sony D8 recorder only records 640x480
still. If one of the recorders you are looking at is higher than the
others, then it will probably record better photos. Contrawise, if one of
them is a lot lower, then it will probably be worse.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply
Anonymous

Jules <post@newsgroup.com> wrote:
>The image resolution is the same regardless of what you use to store the
>image (MiniDV or DVD). Either PAL, NTSC or SECAM depending on your
>country. Either way, you are looking at less than 1/2 mega pixel images.

Except that DVD and MiniDV use different compression schemes.

>Alternativly, a lot of camcorders have 'still photo' mode built in, but this
>is just a digital camera in this mode, not a camcorder.

Some have an extra "shutter" release that grabs a frame and stores it
on a memory card. You can capture stills while recording video.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer@sonic.net