Sign in with
Your question

Highest Support For AMD Socket S1

Last response: in CPUs
August 1, 2010 5:31:55 AM

Hi,

I was wondering where I could find some more infomation regarding the higest supported CPU for the mobile AMD socket S1. Currently, the laptop has a AMD 2.1 Sempron single-core, and I wanted to know if this socket supports dual-core and if so, how high could it go?

Thanks.
a c 159 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 1, 2010 10:37:53 AM

Laptops aren't designed for upgrading the cpu; it's a guessing game as to whether a newer cpu will work. Starmicro has a better selection of mobile cpus than other venders, but they don't accept returns due to compatability issues. So I would play it safe and not upgrade; either sell your laptop and start over or use it for a spare. Another issue is heat; your heatsink won't work with a dual core, and some heatsinks are proprietary with the motherboard. Again, not worth it.
a c 142 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 1, 2010 4:26:29 PM

If your model of laptop/notebook was sold with a dual core (Turion) CPU, it may be possible to upgrade the CPU. If your model was not sold with a dual core CPU, don't waste your time or money (o1die's advice is quite good). Good luck!
October 8, 2010 3:07:28 AM

COLGeek said:
If your model of laptop/notebook was sold with a dual core (Turion) CPU, it may be possible to upgrade the CPU. If your model was not sold with a dual core CPU, don't waste your time or money (o1die's advice is quite good). Good luck!

my laptop has the turion tl-50. s1 socket cpus are dirt cheap. thinkin about upgrading. what would be the best performing socket s1 cpu?
!