PC hangs on startup if SSD connected.

mjssge

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
I have just built a new pc

Z77 Asus maximus V gene
i5 3570k

I wanted to use this SSD to install Win 7 premium (retail) - OCZ octane sata II 128gb

Ive had to revert to my 2tb Seagate Barracuda 6gb/s.

Long story short the SSD always hung on win7 start up, did lot of stuff creating win7 install on a flash drive etc.

In the end installed win7 on the regular HDD, this hung as well on win7 start up.

I removed the SSD from the pc, and now Win7 is perfect from the HDD.

I put the SSD back in...(still booting and loading win7 from the HDD) - system hangs.

Do you think the SSD is faulty? I want to re-format it, but cant get anywhere if I attach it. What about installing "parted magic"
re-attaching SSD and booting from Win7 disk.

What ports are you connecting your drives to? Connect them to the Intel ports, not the ASMedia ports.

Also make sure that your HDD is set up as your 1st boot device in BIOS.
If you have options for a 2nd & 3rd boot device then set it to "Disabled".

mjssge

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
ssd is connected to intel serial ata 3.0gb/s, other boot devices set to disabled, as soon as boot with the SSD attached again (disabled in bios prior to win7 boot) pc hangs on
"starting windows"

mjssge

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Used parted magic to boot pc with ssd attached, wiped ssd. Booted with usb win7 iso, hung on win7 install again - sending SSD back ;-)

Did you update the firmware to version 1.14?

mjssge

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
hi derek

someone suggested that on ROG site, but since I couldnt ever get to a point where I could update the firmware, it was always beyond my grasp.

Nevertheless learnt a few extra tricks for the future, I long ago worked out with comps that their is a cut off point where u
are cutting your nose off..to spite your.... :D