Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade my system (Gaming, HTPC, and Cad workstation)

Last response: in Systems
May 29, 2010 11:07:27 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week, tomorrow would be nice. BUDGET RANGE: 1000 - 1200 after rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Streaming movies to living room via PS3 / HDMI Cable, Internet, 3D CAD (Catia).

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Monitor, Mouse, Hard Drives (3x 500 gigs), Case, and Power Supply
PC Power and Cooling 750 Watt

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, Amazon,
Tigerdirect, whatever's cheapest online
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US of A

PARTS PREFERENCES: None really.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe - Would like to be able to, never have before.
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe down the road if needed.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050 monitor, 1920x1080 tv for streaming movies.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Leftover parts are coming out of a q6600, 8800 gtx computer. Motherboard is done, and took the video card along with it.

I've been looking over all the threads and realize my position is fairly similar to others in terms of the gaming and money spent. I really would like to make sure it's suitable for SLI or Crossfire in the future, and I really cannot decide if I should get an i7 or an i5 because of the streaming movies, and possibly CAD. I will probably be going with the XFX 5850

Here's where I'm at.

Core i5-750

Cooler Master CPU Cooler

XFX 5850 Graphics Card

Ok, so I need a recommendation on a motherboard, and memory.

Also, should I go with an i7, or an i5?

Thanks for any input guys.
May 30, 2010 1:19:30 AM

Ok, here's my i5 build on newegg:

XFX 5850 Graphics Card

Core i5-750

ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

Cooler Master CPU Cooler

Windows 7 Home.

So I have a question on the mobo in regards to crossfire. I guess the P55 chipset is limited by when in crossfire mode, the max is 8x/8x and when there's a single card its 16x. How much of a difference does this make? I'm not going to be crossfiring now, but maybe in a year or so when my system could use a nice little boost and the 5850's come down in price a bit.

Going to work on an i7 build now.
!