Sign in with
Your question

Dead gfx card - how come I still have a screen?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 25, 2010 9:24:06 PM

I'm confused - seems like my gfx has gone pop. Was "in game" when everything crashed and there were loads of lines and artifacts on the screen.

Rebooted and Win 7 advised it was unable to initilise my card, even though my PC works and I can ramp the res up to 1650.

I still have funny lines on screen but I'm wondering if this is actually a software issue - or even a MB issue?? The thing that keeps me thinking it's the card is that I also get the funny lines on boot up and in bios. so pre drivers etc etc..

But how come a card can go pop but still work in an Op System environment?

More about : dead gfx card screen

a c 169 U Graphics card
April 25, 2010 9:53:34 PM

Please post your full system specs and also have your overclocked it ?
a c 173 U Graphics card
April 25, 2010 9:57:06 PM

"POP" Sounds like a cap failed. Is it by chance a 7600GS/T or a 8600GT/S. Those are cards are well known for such failures while other generations are quite rare to have the same type of failure.
Related resources
April 25, 2010 10:24:10 PM

Sorry, didn't literally mean I heard a "pop".

Card is (was!?) an 8800GTS and not overclocked. Win 7 64bit. Core 2 E6600. Asus P5WH Deluxe. 4 gb ram.

I've tried completely removing all drivers and re-installing but hasn't worked. Not susprising as the artifacts show up on the bios post screen. I'm 90% sure it's the card. Just confused as I'm sure that in the "good old days" if the video card died you wouldn't even get past the bios post.
a c 173 U Graphics card
April 25, 2010 10:33:33 PM

OK its the card and the lines are typical of a draw error which 90% means the VRAM is bad and all is it takes is a single bank to go bad. You have some options such as the oven to dumping it on eBay and buying something like a GTS250 or a 5770.
April 26, 2010 3:18:37 AM

yup that's typically the signs of a failing video card. i had those same symptoms with an old card of mine. after replacing the video card the lines and artifacts just went away. ^^
!