1 Mac 1 PC 1 modem how to connect them

Beemeraman

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Hello, My main computer is an iMac running OXs10.4 and connected through a modem to the internet. I wish connect to an old Toshiba Pro Satelite laptop running Windows so that both can access the internet (not simultaneously) and also to be able to send stuff to my printer from both machines.
Can you help please?

G

What stops you connecting Toshiba to the modem -- if it lacks an ethernet connector you can add one via USB or PCMCIA slot.

Printer is a slightly different issue -- suggests that you ought to look at a router designed for use with an existing modem.

Get a wireless router. They're cheap and will solve all your problems.

They're may be ways to connect the two machines, but that would require the iMac have a second network adapter and then using it as a gateway for the laptop. Or perhaps moving the modem to the laptop (since it probably has two network connections, wired and wireless), and making it the gateway on behalf of the iMac using Windows ICS (Internet Connection Services).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

But it's just not worth it. A wireless router will make your life so much easier. You can use the Internet at any time (either at the same time or not), don’t need to keep either machine running in order to access the Internet, share files, you'll get more security (everyone should use a router because it provides better security, even if you only have one computer), etc.

Beemeraman

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
What stops you connecting Toshiba to the modem -- if it lacks an ethernet connector you can add one via USB or PCMCIA slot.

Printer is a slightly different issue -- suggests that you ought to look at a router designed for use with an existing modem.

Thanks for the info. The laptop does have the internet connection which does work OK. Its just how to connect them up so that I do not always have to switch wires, etc. You mention a router . . . I will do an internet search on that one. Thanks again

Beemeraman

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010

Thanks for the info. Wireless router eh! That sounds good eibgrad. But will that be all I need? And how will the computers be able to operate with this "wireless" router?
:??:

Any wireless router will come w/ an Ethernet cable to run between itself and your modem. You supply the Ethernet cables to run from your computers to the router.

That’s all you need to establish network connectivity between the machines and share the Internet. Of course, you then have to deal w/ OS level issues involving access to shared folders, files, printers, etc. But you always have to deal with that no matter how you're networked.

As far as wireless, you don't have to use wireless if you don't want to. Just use wire (although most ppl have wireless on their laptop already and find it mighty convenient). If one or the other doesn't have a wireless network adapter, then buy them and configure them to connect to your wireless router.

Btw, you could buy a wired-only router, but it just doesn't make sense. There's really no price benefit, so you might as well include wireless. And if you don't need wireless, just turn it off (it can be disabled at any time).

Beemeraman

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010

Eh! . . . wow, that was quick. Thank you for that.

I'll need to read it a couple of times to take it in . . . but then I should be ready to buy the wireless router and the other thing. Thanks again, you're a hero.
:wahoo: