Good books on photography?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 12, 2004 9:14:19 PM

Hi,

I wanted to buy a book (or books) on the following subjects:

(I would appreciate any comments/suggestions on these)

1) Composition:

So far I am thinking of getting "Photography & the art of Composition" by
Freeman, Patterson
There is also "Photographic Composition" by Grill

Any experience with these books? Any other suggestions.

2) Technical Techniques (specifically with SLR) - but a book that discussed
DSLR would even be better. This book would have to deal with technical
aspects (eg lighting, color, lenses, tricks etc). A deep discussion on
post-processing would be required.

3) A good technical book on Adobe photoshop (one that deals with PS 7.0 or
CS would be best)

In terms of knowledge, I would consider myself novice. I have really only
gotten into photography using digital cameras (previous owner of an Oly
C-5050Z). Currently I have a 20D /w 17-85mm EF-S.

Thanks
Musty.

More about : good books photography

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 9:14:20 PM

1st book on list - Exposure by Bryon Peterson
2nd book on list - Learning to see creatively by same
or
The photographic eye - Obrien and Sibly (text book type, with q's)

I like the top one the best for any beginner... You will learn most of
what you need from it...

Musty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to buy a book (or books) on the following subjects:
>
> (I would appreciate any comments/suggestions on these)
>
> 1) Composition:
>
> So far I am thinking of getting "Photography & the art of Composition" by
> Freeman, Patterson
> There is also "Photographic Composition" by Grill
>
> Any experience with these books? Any other suggestions.
>
> 2) Technical Techniques (specifically with SLR) - but a book that discussed
> DSLR would even be better. This book would have to deal with technical
> aspects (eg lighting, color, lenses, tricks etc). A deep discussion on
> post-processing would be required.
>
> 3) A good technical book on Adobe photoshop (one that deals with PS 7.0 or
> CS would be best)
>
> In terms of knowledge, I would consider myself novice. I have really only
> gotten into photography using digital cameras (previous owner of an Oly
> C-5050Z). Currently I have a 20D /w 17-85mm EF-S.
>
> Thanks
> Musty.

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 9:14:20 PM

I have not seen that "photography & and the art of composition" but if
it's the same Freeman by whom I have another book, then I wouldn't,
because his images did not appeal to my understanding of composition at
all. I did not like his sensibilities (he was evidently fond of those
silly environmental portraits and did them to an extreme; placing a
judge in a magnificent court hall or a collector amongst his
collection, all resulting in images in which the subject appeared very
small and remote, and achingly nerky, and he was also a fan of
extensive flash work and paraphenalia, which is a bad thing(TM) if your
image is badly composed to start with).
December 12, 2004 9:14:20 PM

> 2) Technical Techniques (specifically with SLR) - but a book that
> discussed
> DSLR would even be better. This book would have to deal with technical
> aspects (eg lighting, color, lenses, tricks etc). A deep discussion on
> post-processing would be required.
>
> 3) A good technical book on Adobe photoshop (one that deals with PS 7.0 or
> CS would be best)

The one by Jim Milburn may fill the bill for both of these, especially the
latter. It's oriented toward photographers rather than people who want to
make weird color patterns.
December 13, 2004 1:20:42 AM

Patterson's book is not about Composition - it is about Zen and pretty much
a really nice picture book. Grill and Scanlon are ok. Start out at the
library and look for books on composition in the art section. Most photo
composition books were written by people who have not studied composition
(or art at all) and have no idea what they are talking about. Photographers
tend to be a techy bunch and they figure they'll get around to composition
after they learn how to do a five light high key set-up or whatever other
technical goal they have.
I have a list of composition books that are actually about composition
at:
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/mani/books/mbookcomp.html
The one I recommend most is
Image - Designing Effective Pictures, by Michael Freeman. It is out of print
but worth hunting down.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to buy a book (or books) on the following subjects:
>
> (I would appreciate any comments/suggestions on these)
>
> 1) Composition:
>
> So far I am thinking of getting "Photography & the art of Composition" by
> Freeman, Patterson
> There is also "Photographic Composition" by Grill
>
> Any experience with these books? Any other suggestions.
>
> 2) Technical Techniques (specifically with SLR) - but a book that
discussed
> DSLR would even be better. This book would have to deal with technical
> aspects (eg lighting, color, lenses, tricks etc). A deep discussion on
> post-processing would be required.
>
> 3) A good technical book on Adobe photoshop (one that deals with PS 7.0 or
> CS would be best)
>
> In terms of knowledge, I would consider myself novice. I have really only
> gotten into photography using digital cameras (previous owner of an Oly
> C-5050Z). Currently I have a 20D /w 17-85mm EF-S.
>
> Thanks
> Musty.

Anonymous
December 13, 2004 1:20:43 AM

Tony wrote:

> The one I recommend most is
> Image - Designing Effective Pictures, by Michael Freeman. It is out
> of print but worth hunting down.

Amazon has a couple of used copies for $77.50. Geez! Is it really worth it
at that price, or do some of the other titles give one more "bang for the
buck"?
December 13, 2004 10:43:03 AM

That is indeed a lot of money. I guess others have discovered the book. I
got my copy for 5 bucks at a local store. You might try stores in your area
too. Most college towns have good used books shops, and the Freeman book was
used as a text in some schools - all you can lose is a bit of time.
And/Or -- Try abes, alibris or some other used books search service and
see if you can locate a better price. Also be sure to check the public
library or if there is a University with a good library in your town...
Of the books specifically photography oriented in my list I would say
that the next two best bets would be the Bill Smith or Clements and
Rosenfeld titles. Both are out of print but were in print fairly recently so
they might be available at a good price.
Another book that is not on my list is the Dover publication on
composition for artists. I haven't even seen my copy in a decade or more but
remember it as being pretty good - I think I loaned it to a student and
never got it back. Dover publications are never out of print and the prices
are always reasonable.

--

!