Sign in with
Your question

Are all motherboards Bad????

Last response: in Motherboards
February 19, 2011 6:34:04 PM

All of the motherboards i've been looking at have crazy reviews they're either very good or bad, as soon as i think i found a great motherboard i find very bad reviews saying that the boards stop working after a few months and they overheat, wiring problems etc.
are they really all this bad?

also, i'm looking for a motherboard for a amd Phenom ii 1090t hexacore processor any suggestions would be nice (just want a durable board that'll last me a few years)

More about : motherboards bad

a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2011 6:42:32 PM

What are the rest of your specifications, and what of a budget?
February 19, 2011 6:45:30 PM

Budget around 850 dollars (willing to spend more)
but....
atm i'm just looking for a good mobo
ati radeon 5770
amd phenom 1090t
4gbs mushkin ddr3 ram
corsair enthusiast 650watt psu
western digital black cavier 500 gb hard drive
Related resources
a c 234 V Motherboard
February 19, 2011 8:55:18 PM

What boards are you looking at?

For AM3, I typically recommend the ASRock 870 Extreme3 for within your budget.
February 20, 2011 1:49:41 AM

well, lets take the law of internet reviews.

Rule 1: people do not go out of their way to rave about how good of a motherboard they have.
Rule 2: people that have a problem with their motherboard are more likely to bitch about it on every board they can because they are pissed they cant use that fancy new gaming rig to play WOW, so they are on their mothers computer crying about it.
Rule 3: people that post positive reviews either work for that manufacturer, or they spent so much money on that new compy that they couldn't afford their monthly WOW subscription, so they too are also stuck with nothing to do but roam the interwebs, proclaiming how awesome their system is, and how they would dominate playing WOW, but forgot that the build would eat up the next 6 months of thier gaming budget....

The short of it, most people with positive experiences don't take the time to review it. Go with your gut, there is always that chance you might get a lemon, but its pretty low.
February 20, 2011 3:24:57 AM

fireball51690 said:
All of the motherboards i've been looking at have crazy reviews they're either very good or bad, as soon as i think i found a great motherboard i find very bad reviews saying that the boards stop working after a few months and they overheat, wiring problems etc.
are they really all this bad?

also, i'm looking for a motherboard for a amd Phenom ii 1090t hexacore processor any suggestions would be nice (just want a durable board that'll last me a few years)

Hi Fireball51690 :hello:  ...I think most of the problems are,that they maybe going too hard with these mainboards/motherbaords and/or have faulty one's also :pt1cable:  ...Do not forget that if you are going all the way & not intending to go mildly,what do you expect ;)  ...Anyway have a good time with your future board :)  ...
February 20, 2011 10:05:51 AM

I have to agree with everything said so far. Maybe I have been lucky but I have completed 7 builds over the past year with 7 different MOBOs and have not had 1 bad one. That is not to say my next one won't be a lemon. When dealing with electronics it happens. I have used ASUS, MSI, BioStar, ECS, Intel, and Gigabyte but look forward to trying others in the future. They all have things that I like and dislike but I look for the best fit within my budget for the intended purpose of the machine i.e. gaming, web browsing, general office, ect. Also keep in mind that asking a budget mobo to perform like a high dollar top of the line gaming board is asking for problems. You get what you pay for as a general rule. Just find a board in your budget with the features and capabilities for your intended purpose and go for it. If you want a highend gaming rig to overclock ect. but only have $100 for the mobo stop and save up more money and get something intended for that purpose.
February 23, 2011 3:05:53 AM

GBPackerNut said:

Rule 1: people do not go out of their way to rave about how good of a motherboard they have.
Rule 2: people that have a problem with their motherboard are more likely to bitch about it on every board they can because they are pissed they cant use that fancy new gaming rig to play WOW, so they are on their mothers computer crying about it.
Rule 3: people that post positive reviews either work for that manufacturer, or they spent so much money on that new compy that they couldn't afford their monthly WOW subscription, so they too are also stuck with nothing to do but roam the interwebs, proclaiming how awesome their system is, and how they would dominate playing WOW, but forgot that the build would eat up the next 6 months of thier gaming budget....

The short of it, most people with positive experiences don't take the time to review it. Go with your gut, there is always that chance you might get a lemon, but its pretty low.

that was amazing proved all of my theories. thank you for that influence
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2011 3:55:05 AM

GBPackerNut said:

I think your comments have some merit but generalities are just that. No two people think alike and just because some will bitch, a lot won't. It is said that one happy buyer will tell one person, one unhappy buyer will tell ten people. Maybe so, maybe not.

I still think getting as much input as possible is necessary to draw reasonable conclusions about a product. I also take a lot of what I read in reviews and on forums with a grain of salt....the reason is that a forum member has the opinion of one. That is not sceintific to draw any conclusion from. Also, those paid reviewers accept advertising on the sites they own or work for and therefore they depend on revenue from the products' maker to exist. That will usually slant a reviewers' opinion, at least to some degree...they seem to find a nice way to bitch or gloss over a problem! In the end, nothing beats return rates for a reasonable guide about a products' reliability. Unfortunately, those numbers are not readily available to Mr. Joe Consumer, but they do exist. One such report is available here:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/810-1/components-ret...

This report is based on a French company RMA rates but the products involved are the same as we see in North America and elsewhere. Only the prices and voltage differ in most cases. In fact, the aforementioned return rate report very closely matched what I was told by my salesman from a large Canadian national computer chain store. He warned me about the return rate of certain well known and sought after RAM, even though most posters rave about it on all the forums. Same with a famous big name brand PSU. I was intending to buy a lessor model from that maker but bought a higher series model from the same company on the recommendation of my salesman. Thus far, he was spot on. I bought Kingston RAM after it was reported by my salesman to be the least returned RAM they sell.....as you will see, the report from France indicates the same thing. This is strange since many young computer parts buyers will not consider Kingston RAM for a new build, although they obviously should!

Anyway, do your research, ask a lot of people in the know and use Google to find the not so common information about products. It works.
!