Computer psu repair

Hello,
first my computer is hanging and then i am restart the computer my computer make noise then i am reset that my computer notwork psu not work
6 answers Last reply
More about computer repair
  1. Well, first of all, check the LED on the motherboard. If there's power coming from the PSU, the LED should lit.

    I'm not very clear though about your explanation.

    - What kind of noise?
    - Not working as in not at all or only the lights light up but no picture on the screen?
  2. damasvara said:
    Well, first of all, check the LED on the motherboard. If there's power coming from the PSU, the LED should lit.

    Sort of, but not exactly.

    The "sort of" part ... The motherboard LED is powered by the small, always on 5 volt standby power supply. It provides initial startup voltages to the rest of the PSU.

    The "not exactly" part ... It has nothing to do with the main section of the PSU that provides operating power to the computer.
  3. well theres 2 reasons it may NOT be lit

    a. the mobo doesnt have one
    b. the 5vsb is what its powered off, right? so if it isnt lit that psu really IS DEAD!
  4. jsc said:
    Sort of, but not exactly.

    The "sort of" part ... The motherboard LED is powered by the small, always on 5 volt standby power supply. It provides initial startup voltages to the rest of the PSU.

    The "not exactly" part ... It has nothing to do with the main section of the PSU that provides operating power to the computer.

    Well, I was actually referring to the condition of the PSU, whether or not it's totally dead. A partially functioning PSU didn't really came across my mind, since I don't know if a PSU can be partially functioning only on standby 5V yet can't supply any power through the connectors. AFAIK, the 5V supply also came from the main 20/24 pin connector. But maybe you know about this better than I am. :D
  5. shovenose said:
    well theres 2 reasons it may NOT be lit

    a. the mobo doesnt have one
    b. the 5vsb is what its powered off, right? so if it isnt lit that psu really IS DEAD!

    I've never seen a motherboard without a power standby signal LED, but maybe you've seen it. :heink:

    As for the b part, I'm with you 100%.
  6. well i have two without :) ahem... but i have >10 pcs so thats not saying much :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Computer Components