P5x58d-e dimm slots

apie172

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
I recently built my computer but for some reason dimm slot A1 and A2 are not working. I tried updating the bios and loosening the cpu hsu. I moved the RAM to slots B1, B2 and C1 and the full amount of ram is being found as usable. Eventually, I will need to either RMA the mobo or figure out another solution, but is this bad (using B1, B2, C1)? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Proper Slots = Proper Operation. 'Errors & Performance'

I wouldn't do it, it's not recommended, and it's probably slowing your system down; it's interfering with the initialization of all three channels, and the IMC. You can drive down the wrong side of the street until a car hits you head on.

Have you tried the correct slots? What exact RAM do you have installed {I prefer a link}?

If you post the RAM then I'll look up the correct BIOS settings. Meanwhile, what 'other' BIOS settings have you made? If none then shutdown your PC, switch slots, and press the Clear CMOS button at the I/O shield. Failure - shutdown, open the case and press the MEMOK button.

Proper installation:
DDR3_GA.jpg

MEMOK:
"Installing DIMMs that are incompaible with the motherboard may cause system boot failure, and the DRAM_LED near the MemOK! switch lights continuously. Press and hold the MemOK! switch until the DRAM_LED starts blinking to begin automatic memory compatibility tuning for successful boot."