Wd elements fell down, but still working

Domke

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
mhm my hard drive exactly like this one just 3TB one fell down, I simply picked it up and noticed the magnetic field in it by simply lightly shaking it(was unsure why, but figured it out that it was how its intended to work while powered). It is still working, no sound nothing of the possible damage. I also turned it off, even powered it down from electricity. Then plugged it in again, was still able to read the files, make a backup etc. Does this mean that my hard drive is damaged somehow? Or am I just lucky enaught? Because I seen many threads on the internet about other hard drives being broken after such accidents. I actually dunno how it fell from my dekstop PC box, because it has those gummy stickers on the backside. Possible that I moved it somehow by my foot, or it was hanging on the edge and it simply just needed impact. Device fell down about 30-50cm(12-20inches) think that's the right calculation for those in USA or any other country that uses inches etc. By the way I apologize for my English.

Domke

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
By the way this message is taken from my youtube, because I asked one more guy who knows about storage devices. Was unable to edit it a littlebit, when I published it.

Domke

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
aye I did backup my data, checked today seems like my WD survived and still works as before. Was just a bit strange when I lifted it while powered up, but not going to do anything similar anymore :). By the way isn't WD element supposed to blink with a blue light when my PC is in a sleep mode or so, for power saving?

Domke

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

Well I hope so, the threads of people dropping their storage devices I have red before posting here, seemed very unlucky. Even with a slightest impact, sadly no one had WD elements 3TB like me. But I don't think that a bit newer version is better protected than previous ones? Size and everything looks the same, dunno about the inside.

TRENDING THREADS