Sign in with
Your question

External hard drive not working

Last response: in Storage
July 18, 2012 2:44:05 AM

I have a 1tb Seagate expansion external hard drive. I have put all my information i need on it and was relying on it to keep it as i deleted it all from my computer. There is now no light on it although you can feel the motor run in it when connected. It comes up as not being detected when usb inserted into computer. I cannot access any information stored on this drive! Please help!
a b G Storage
July 18, 2012 10:23:32 AM

Couple things to try, disconnect all other USB devices, only use the ext drive.
You can also check to see if the drive is appearing in Device manager when you plug it in, make a note of what it detects as. Try it in a laptop or other PC too.
m
l
July 19, 2012 1:33:16 AM

Thankyou sooo much for this help...although i have tried using it on my tv which the usb plugs into media player...which it is not recognised on either :( 
It doesn't come up in device manager either and i have tried on multiple laptops (few teenagers in the house). Not sure whether a computer shop would be able to fix it or whether its something that is a common problem...just majorly annoying! Thanks again!
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 19, 2012 2:58:15 AM

could you remove it from the external case and connect as a second drive in your system to see if it will be detect
m
l
a b G Storage
July 20, 2012 12:19:08 PM

Problem with that is that many of these USB drives have only a soldered on USB connection and some proprietary 6 pin connection that the data recovery labs use. You will have to pop the case on it to find out, but if the drive inside has a normal SATA connection then great. We will need the model number to determine that. Sounds to me like this drive is dead though.
m
l
!