CPU fan speeds up to maximum speed during the lightest tasks

cyrus_cse

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
So I have a Dell Dimension E520 with a Pentium 4 Prescott, running Windows XP, and when I boot up, the fan isn't too loud (almost unnoticeable), then when I go to simply open Firefox, or just Windows Explorer, the fan revs up to its highest speed and stays there. I can't get a temperature reading on the CPU since its running on a Dell mobo and they never let the end user see the temps. I've redone the thermal paste correctly a few times (using AS5) and the fan never slows down. Any help?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the computer is very slow, almost unusable. Text entry is laggy, playing music through VLC becomes choppy, and Windows lowered the rating on my CPU from a 3.5 to 2.3. Any ideas?

cyrus_cse

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Hmm? My dell would show me temps for my ancient E6400 with CoreTemp... maybe some motherboards wont though...?

I know it sounds obvious but make 100% sure the CPU fan is correctly secured

Well my Dell is a Dimension E520, and I've tried reseating the heatsink and fan many times, and I'm sure it is secured correctly.

cyrus_cse

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

It's not normal though, it just started happening recently. Before, under any tasks I could never hear the fan (its RPM was low enough to be unnoticeable), but now its just too loud, and yes I've cleaned out my case.

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
Then might be the temp sensor having some problems, 2nd BIOS having some problems to judge which is hot and which is not. Since you've cleaned out the case I assume that you clean your CPU heat sink and fan as well.
Now I got one Pentium 4 northwood 2.4GHz having exactly the same problem that you're having. It is clean and the temp is only 55~59% but the fan stays at max speed.

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008

its a sign to upgrade ur system :p

but srsly speaking, i have seen many p4, all above 2.8g, start making sound at idle. it happens after the pc has been used for a few yrs. wat m saying is that its normal with p4. however, u could get a new cooler with good silent fan.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Late, but I would suggest the last BIOS update Dell offered for the system, 2.4.0. Or may I suggest the final CPU upgrade available(when I mean highest I mean greatest with this BIOS update), which would be the Core 2 Quad Q6700. Runs cooler and is faster, been wanting to get one myself.

dwilley

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Sorry to revive this but I'm having a similar problem. Just upgraded my processor on my Dell Dimension E520 from the 2.8GHz dual core (forgot the actual number) to the Q6700 and the CPU fan is quiet when I first start the computer from a cold start but when Windows 7 starts up the fan speed starts getting higher and higher until it reaches full speed and sounds like a wind tunnel. It didn't do this with the old processor. I've checked the temps with Speedfan and they are in the 30 C range on all 4 cores. I've also seen a thread somewhere about checking the Northbridge heatsink and seeing how hot it gets but it's barely warm to the touch. I'm sure the heat transfer from the CPU to the heatsink is fine because I can touch the copper base by the processor and it's not even warm and I've used Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. I also had to upgrade to the latest BIOS to use the Quad core and am running 2.4.0. Thinking of possibly using a different fan that even if it runs at full speed, it won't sound like a jet engine taking off but I'm hoping maybe there's something weird going on that I'm missing.