An Idiot Needs Your Expertise

beece68

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
I am looking to upgrade my video card on an old computer. I have no clue whether I need a PCI or PCI express card.

Just some things that may help:

I have a Gateway 505GR , has a 300 Watt power supply and I'm currently using a Radeon x700 Pro card. I'd like to upgrade to something better ($100-$150 range max).

So I guess the questions are:

1. I know my current card is PCI, but how can I tell if I can run something that is PCI Express?

2. What kind of cards are decent in this price range/compatibility with this *** PC?

I'd appreciate any help that you can give. I'm clueless on this stuff.

sinners_body

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
if i were u i would buy GEFORCE 9800gtx...it will be affordable for u ....:|:| buying a ATI thing is a risky business sooo take a wise step ATI's is not a highly rough & tough GPU as far as GEFORCE is......

Truhls

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

please dont listen to this guy....for one im not even sure if you could run a GTX on a 300w power supply unless you got an eco one which usually arent worth it. Two ATI was wiping the floor ( and imo still is ) with nvidia in the GPU market.

notty22

Distinguished
The GT 240 is a ok card. Right now there are big rebates on all gt 240's at new egg.
Choose a gddr5 model, they are a little quicker. This one as a 35.00 dollar rebate and a free game, final cost is 58.00 dollars
evga gt 240
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130533&cm_re=gt_240-_-14-130-533-_-Product
list of gt240's by price
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Description=gt%20240&bop=And&Order=PRICE
RE5%201280.png

Crysis%201280.png

Guessing the age of the computer pointing to a PCIe x 16 version 1.x. I still recommend the HD4650/70 based on all the posts in here about trouble getting the new PCIe 2.1 cards working on older motherboards without BIOS update. (presuming that Gateway does not have one)

You CAN run it on high, but you wouldn't want to. Even with the low quality of Youtube video you can tell from those videos that the frame rate is quite low.
FYI youtube is really not the place to go to get info on videocards. There are tons of respectable tech websites with reliable benchmarks while some grainy footage posted by some random person on youtube proves absolutely nothing.

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

True I'm an idiot :p .

Well there's even one you linked that gives you FPS in the video info;

"This is Crysis Warhead being played on an Nvidia GT 240 (Specifically the Palit 1GB GDDR5 "Sonic" Chipset) graphics card. All settings are set to as high as they go for my resolution (1280x1024).

FPS Without Fraps: Average 25FPS, Lowest 8FPS
FPS With Fraps: 18FPS Average, Lowest 4FPS"

With frame rates dipping down into single digits that isn't going to make for smooth gameplay at all. Most usually consider a game smooth if FPS stay above 30.

Kohlhagen

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006

You do not know what you are talking about. Do more research, the 9800GTX probably wouldn't even fit in his tower, and the power supply would take a crap.. The PC also uses a Pentium 4, which means any highend GPU will be bottlenecked heavily by the processor and a complete waste of money..

Go with a midrange GPU, don't buy anything over 100 dollars, you will see no increase in FPS or quality without sacrificing FPS.

I didn't realize it was a P4. Might as well just save some money and get one of the 2 cards rolli linked initially. I don't think you'll really see any difference with better cards than those.
If you are going to upgrade the computer in the not too distant future then get the HD5670 for something that may be worth putting in a new system. perhaps in crossfire.

beece68

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks all. I just went with the HD4670 that Rolli suggested. I just need something to do some minor gaming on until fall when I can afford a decent computer.

All your input and research was much appreciated.