Looking for a decent 1TB internal storage drive

eagle132

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Hey all,

The title says most of it. I will have a Crucial M4 SSD as the OS drive. Price isn't a huge factor for this HDD (under $120, which is pretty standard). I was all set on the Caviar Black until I started reading about how loud it was. I want the best performance I can, even though it's a storage drive, because I might be booting some software off of it.

Should I go for the Caviar Black anyway? I've read lots of good things performance and reliability-wise, and some reviews with people saying they cannot even hear it, but it seems to be a standard complaint that it is extremely loud, and I would much rather a quieter drive.

Thanks for any advice!!!

eXistenZ

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
What? WHAT ??

I got the black to go with my Samsung830 and it is quiet. As a matter of fact, I think I made this same thread a while ago.

I got the WDB because I wanted to optimize random searches, and randoms is where the WDB is better than, say, the F3 or Barracuda. I don't think it actually matters, though. I wanted to get my computer to be as "standard" as possible so I got the WDB because of the warranty, really.

Mine is quiet. Got it on sale for 99.

eagle132

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010

eagle132

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
That's true I suppose. I try to keep my PC as quiet as possible while as cool as possible, tough to balance. Lots of reviews were saying they could hear the HDD over the fans. But, I guess it can't be THAT bad...

If they are sticking their ear up against the case then it doesn't count, LoL! Most times if I can hear a drive over the fans it's because the drive is failing.

eagle132

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Probably a good point. I'm probably worried about nothing. The people claiming to be able to hear the HDD specifically from rooms away probably did indeed have failing drives. Alrighty, unless anyone else has any opinions on the Caviar Black, I guess that's the way I'll go!

eXistenZ

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
There are 2 models of WDB. One says 3GB/s and the other is 6GB/s. Yes, I know that 3 vs 6 et cetera, but there are 2 models and I got the FAEX 6gb/s with 2 heads and 64GB and whatever.

[strike]Just sane[/strike] just sayin.

eagle132

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010

... so are you saying you are insane?

Thanks for the input though eXistenZ, I really appreciate it! I'm going to get that model.